Thread: Unable to use my SanDisk 16 GB Micro SD card!

Unable to use my SanDisk 16 GB Micro SD card!

I have this SanDisk 16GB Micro SD card which have been working perfectly fine since the day I bought it (2 months back) till it suddenly started showing unidentified symptoms (1 week back). The symptoms being that as soon I insert this card into my computer, it definitely recognizes in a way which is efficient enough, but it suddenly scares me with a pop-up saying I need to format it and when I try obeying it, it refuses to get formatted. Surprisingly, the when the capacity box comes up, it shows as 30.8MB. Now, I want to use it the way I used to, so could you please come up with a solution that is reliable enough?

re: Unable to use my SanDisk 16 GB Micro SD card!

Let me tell you before we go ahead, that you are definitely going to lose all your data or you have probably lost all of them already.

Initially, try checking out various options of formatting available. Try: quick formatting, normal formatting, NTFS reformatting, FAT reformatting or FAT32 reformatting. Check out if one of them works. If any of them is done successfully then you can format it using your desired. If none of them seems to work, try formatting it using CMD. That should sort your issue out.

Let me tell you before we go ahead, that you are definitely going to lose all your data or you have probably lost all of them already.
    I know that and I am prepared for it with a heavy heart.
    I have tried all the options you mentioned except for the option which you recommended at the end i.e. formatting it using CMD because I am unsure how to go about it. Can you please help me out with it?

Yes for sure! It is very simple of a process.
    - Insert your card into the card reader
    - Check out the Drive Specification letter from My Computer.
    - Open Command Prompt
    o Press start
    o Go to run
    o Type cmd and press enter
    - In cmd, type format<space>’the drive letter’ and press enter

You are done with your formatting

I tried it and it worked as expected except for the fact that it did not get formatted only. Is there anything else I can try? Maybe some other formatting technique or some other troubleshooting steps?

Next what you can probably try is using a third party formatting utility that are available in market. There is a reliable program available online called the ‘SDFFormatter’, you can use that for formatting. It is free and according to me, it is efficient enough to resolve your issue. Go ahead with downloading it, installing it and using it to be out of the mess you are in, right now!

Re: Unable to use my SanDisk 16 GB Micro SD card!

No, that did not work either. Looks like all the option I could try is over now and the next option you would probably provide is going to be an exchange, but the problem in it is that I have some private and sensitive information saved in my flash drive and I cannot afford it going to wrong hands. A one to one exchange with the company would definitely give them access to my data right? Recovery of such data is no big deal for them. And so, I have no option but to make the flash drive work or dispose it. Please try and think of something better and more effective. I am sure there’s a go out of this.

Re: Unable to use my SanDisk 16 GB Micro SD card!

Ok! I happened to a lot of research on this issue and I guess I have finally found a fix that is used and proved by many other users. If this doesn’t worknothing else can be done.
    Follow the below given steps to acquire your desired result.
    1. Put the micro SD card into your phone and connect it with the PC
    2. Go to your phone’s settings> SD Card and Storage> Mount. (it might not mount at the first but try it a few times, it definitely will)
    3. On the notification bar, click on ‘Use SD card as Storage’
    4. Run the above mentioned 3rd party formatter in ‘full overwrite erase mode’
    5. It might take more time than usual, don’t panic and be patient.
    6. Remove it from your computer> reconnect it and mount it
    I hope that will help you!!!