Thread: I want to format my SanDisk Cruzer to NTFS without losing the pre installed files.

I want to format my SanDisk Cruzer to NTFS without losing the pre installed files.

I recently bought a new cruzer and it had a decent number of software installed in it viz;SanDiskSecureAccess, club_application, RunClubSanDisk.exe, RunSanDiskSecureAccess_Win.exe, autorun.inf. I wish to reformat it to NTFS. But then that’ll lead to loss of the preinstalled stuffs. What can be done to avoid this? i.e. if I want to recover or retain these files what are the options available for that?

Re: I want to format my SanDisk Cruzer to NTFS without losing the pre installed files.

Why do you want to reformat it to NTFS at the first place? What is this ‘I-want-NTFS-syndrome’ all about? I guess you are aware if you try reformatting at this point of time it will cause nothing but mere waste of time and cause excessive overhead. You should not try reformatting it, unless you have files heavier than 4GB on your flash drive.

Re: I want to format my SanDisk Cruzer to NTFS without losing the pre installed files.

I have my own list of reasons to support my thought of reformatting it to NTFS. It has nothing to do with the ‘I-want-NTFS-syndrome’, it is just about the fact that I strongly believe the performance of my flash drive would be increasing to a considerable amount. Above that my data has already moved above the amount you specified. Anyways, my question was never regarding confusion between if I should reformat or not, it is regarding, how to do it without hampering my existing data. A reply to that would be more useful.

my question was never regarding confusion between if I should reformat or not, it is regarding, how to do it without hampering my existing data. A reply to that would be more useful.
    I get your question, I was just wondering why are people so obsessed with the NTFS-thing, anyways since that is not your issue of concern let us move to the topic you are concerned about. To retain the preinstalled files, all you need to do is copy them on your system and then after the reformatting is done simply copy-paste it back to your flash drive. You’ll have all your files back in there.

This solution always existed in the back of my head. But is it reliable enough? I don’t think so, that is I can definitely do what you said. But don’t you think those files are made for FAT32 format and after reformatting, I’m not at all sure if it’ll work the way it is meant to. I am not really aware of all this, can you kindly suggest something? Is my assumption right or is it a mere myth?

Your doubt has strong value. I’m really sorry this possibility just skipped out of my mind. Yes that is definitely possible. For now what you can do is, download a suitable file from internet. I mean, I am sure there are NTFS versions of the programs you mentioned which are easily available on internet. And post-reformatting install them back to your device. This should entirely solve your query.

Ohk! This never clicked to me as potential solution. I have already found all the NTFS version of my mandatory programs like: SanDiskSecureAccess, club_application, RunClubSanDisk.exe, RunSanDiskSecureAccess_Win.exe, autorun.inf. I am all set and ready to reformat it but there’s another question that has started bothering me lately. If at all I format my flash drive to NTFS after which I again wish to reload it with FAT32 and the preinstalled files, is that possible?

I again wish to reload it with FAT32
    Are you talking about reloading or reformatting? Anyways, I can’t think of a single reason why it cannot be reformatted to FAT32. It definitely can be and as far as the files are concerned, what you can preferably follow is what I said in my second post. Simply keep a back of those FAT32 files too. That’s all, you can now flexibly move between NTFS and FAT.