Thread: Sony Vaio Z2 display Freezes and Lock-Ups randomly due to Power Management Settings

Sony Vaio Z2 display Freezes and Lock-Ups randomly due to Power Management Settings

Right now I am using a Sony Vaio Z but from yesterday it started freezes randomly when running different applications. Sometimes screen may also turn black. So when it happens I have to reboot the system by manually pressing and holding the start button. So far I didn’t get even a single clue which causes these problems. I don’t know how to troubleshoot a issue now.

Re: Sony Vaio Z2 display Freezes and Lock-Ups randomly due to Power Management Settings

I think that this issue has something to do with the Power Management settings. The power settings mean it is either in BIOS and/or Windows. They might not be working together or as they are configured. I have seen that the Hybrid Graphics System switches its mode automatically for the intention to save energy as well. This could also cause the problem when using Graphic rich apps or games. There is a recent update for VAIO Power management to the version - 5.1.1.06180

Re: Sony Vaio Z2 display Freezes and Lock-Ups randomly due to Power Management Settings

Sometimes I have seen that these kinds of problems can be resolved by Windows updates or directly by the VAIO updates.

But you can also try a Factory reset of BIOS by resetting the CMOS. This can also help you to solve the problem.

Did you notice the same problem when connected to the PMD? In my case the same issue was happening with 2 separate laptops which were connected to the 2 separate docks. Some told me that he has fixed the problem by disabling the power management on the network card but in my case it didn’t worked. I am still getting random Blue screen and freeze.

Contacted the Sony support but it was useless.

I am pretty sure that each and every driver is up to date and even patches.

In my opinion I have to say that the issue has something to with the thermal issue. Did you check the temps? For the first I would rather suggest you upgrading the motherboard BIOS but I guess that you have already done that. Also see if the issue is due to the faulty RAM.

In my case I am getting hardware failure and a BSOD both on Vaio laptop. To fix it, first I went into the BIOS > Frequency > Voltage Control. There I have enabled Intel Speed Step and Intel HT Tech together and then changed the CxE Function to C6. This solved the BSOD and freezing issue. I assume that this was all due to the Windows 7's built in power manager. The issue happens if you don’t turn on these things. I won’t guarantee about the fix because it might not solve all of your issues but it would eliminate the power management related problem disabled due to the firmware problem