Thread: Lenovo ThinkPad T61p is completely dead

Lenovo ThinkPad T61p is completely dead

Hello friends, I am using T61 laptop and recently just changed rattling fan, once I have inserted it then after that it is not at all working. I really not knowing what problem is and I have checked everything and it was fine, I really not knowing what wrong I have done it. So does anyone is having any idea about that what might be the problem with it and what should to do now? Thank you.

Re: Lenovo ThinkPad T61p is completely dead

I think that when you placing the rattling fan then you might have bricked some wires, so I would suggest that you better open it again and checked everything in it is proper and checked that power is been coming on board or not?

I have checked that and also I have also tested adapter and even the power jack with a multi-meter and there was no problem with it and both were running fine. I have dismantled and reassembled the system since to make sure I reattached all the internal cables, I earthed myself before I started, so I am very much sure that there is no problem with internal of laptop it is been related something else, so what to do?

I would suggest that you remove cmos batter and press power button for ten times and when you have done it then try to on it and check that it is been working properly as it should work.

One more thing I would like to tell that if you are not having keyboard properly connected then also your power button does not work and you will be able to see ac and battery LEDs light when you have connected to power cord. I think that when you were removing fan then you might have dislodge the cable of dc power jack, well it is been near to fan and it is plugs into the motherboard so that might be a possible of not getting power on to your board. So you better check it and make sure it is connected.

I have tried all those thing which you people have suggested me to do it and I was thinking that I am having laptop which is very much old and thinking to get a replace with some of the other one, such that thinking to get some other cpu for T8300 CPU into it and do some other changes? So you people think that it will be worth to do it and also sort of variation is there between boards?

I would like to tell you some little information that T8300 cpu which you are having it is a Penryn chip, so if you are thinking to change then I would like to say that requires a Penryn capable board and only lesser penryn chip is been seen in these units is the T8100. If it is possible for you to get that chip then you can do easily swapping with it and if you are having old memory cpu then you have to do some of changes in bios so that you are able to run Penryn chip, most of the people have done this and who ever have done but did not done in Lenovo.

If you are having system which is been manufactured in 2008 then you will be having merom CPU and penryn board, if you are not knowing about it and wanted to confirm then just check boards FRU number with that you will be able to know about it. If you are not able to find boards FRU number, then is been located just under battery, or under ram, so just check it and see that what you are having it.