Thread: New Sansa Express 1GB bricked due to firmware update

New Sansa Express 1GB bricked due to firmware update

Few days ago I have bought the Sansa express 1GB. It came with a display. There was a nice GUI tool for it and there was an option to update the firmware. The automatic update failed and for that reason I tried the manual update, now it seems completely bricked. Now the current state of Sansa express 1GB is as follows:
    • No display
    • Done Hard reset, No use
    • Windows 7 recognizes it as a simple mass storage device.
    • Don’t know whether it is charging when connected to the computer or not.

What to do now?

Re: New Sansa Express 1GB bricked due to firmware update

When the same thing happened with my device, I have tried the following things:
    • H0ld the (-) while connecting it and by the use of manual firmware updater try either 1.01.12a or the 05 one.
    • Remove the MicroSD card and turn it on whilst plugging it in with (-) held

In my case I have tried the Sigmatel firmware downloader but it keep remain showing only "initializing" message when the device is recognized. If I try the Sansa Updater for the firmware update, the Windows pop up message saying that device needs to be formatted. There no matter what I select here, nothing happens at all and ends with freeze. But the device seems obviously responsive but it needs to "raw write" the firmware to it.

A weakness of the small high-tech equipment is often the firmware, so the operating system of the MP3 player. Much like a computer that crashes and stops responding, the firmware can bring the player to a standstill - for example, when you press buttons in a certain order, and thus fall into a programming error by the manufacturer. An update must be here, so a new version of operating software. The firmware of an MP3 player is on a chip installed in the device and can be just like Windows bring up to date. Without the upgrade is not: Who here makes a mistake, can sometimes destroy the device. It is therefore important to keep updating to the instructions exactly.

I immediately updated the player with the firmware 1.01.01A. But I believe that the equalizer does not work properly. In practice, the adjustments are not regular: the frequency extremes and do not work as they should. I do not remember as the Express went first, also because the first thing I did after opening the box was to update the firmware. I also tried to re-install the same firmware.

There is an interesting theory on this Sansa Express player.
    • FAT32 is used on SanDisk file system.
    • FAT32 formatted might have been experiencing this problem.
    • The thing is device locked by now and it will not allow you to update the firmware in any manner. You might sometime notice that you cannot safely remove from the computer i.e. it's still in use and FAT file system being corrupted. To check it properly, you need to run CHKDSK and correct the problems if possible.