Thread: Unable to format 32GB Cruzer Blade to ntfs

Unable to format 32GB Cruzer Blade to ntfs

As I already mentioned in the title that I have a Cruzer blade of 32 gb. from past two days I am trying to add certain 4gb and bigger size file into it but the issue is that exfat is unable to be recognized by my media player and due this I need my blade to be ntfs. Tried harder to do it but failed every time, I also used a command prompt and several other programs but nothing worked. The only thing I can do is to reformat back to fat32 and exfat and then use the USB smoothly without any issue which accepts all the files perfect but for me it’s not worth. Please suggest me with some way out for this thing.

Re: Unable to format 32GB Cruzer Blade to ntfs

Why don’t you try out booting your system to safe mode and then try converting it to ntfs. I am not sure whether this will help you out or not but you can simply try it out to see what difference is showed to you. Hope you know how to turn into safe mode. Or else the other thing you can do is take the back up of all the files and the folders to the hard drive and then try out the standard format command.

Thanks for the advice and suggestion. As according to your suggestion I tried out in safe mode but after I do that I notice a error message is displayed, this error message says that “Unable to notify other components that this volume has changed”. I tried again without reformatting it in the command prompt, and it says that the drive is already ntfs but however when I check the properties of USB Cruzer it shows me in the state of raw. Not just this also in the command prompt I tried out the format f: /fs:ntfs, this actually however attempted to format the drive but then came back with the message saying "the second ntfs boot sector is unwriteable" "format failed"

Hey I do get the same error message with my Cruzer Blade. From past one week even I am trying to change the format of my pen drive to ntfs but somehow it’s not happening I have tried several tricks on command but ultimately I end having the same error message which you have mentioned above. The last attempt I did in my settings through command prompt was convert f: /fs:ntfs, the same attempt which was made by you. In my case it however worked for a while but at last I came back with the message "unable to notify other components that it has changed". Also whenever I check my USB Cruzer it is always changed to Raw format.

For your kind information let me tell you that if your drive is only 4 GB what so ever may be the case you won’t be able to put the whole 4 GB file on it anyhow. Always remember that a 4GB drive always comes up with only 3.7GB of available space in it. Anyways let know whether you are able to run CHKDSK on the drive. Or else try to format the USB and then try to follow the entire trick which you have done in the past time.

Several times I have tried out formatting my USB on all type of system including windows XP, vista and windows 7 with no successful result but at last when I tried on MAC fortunately I did it within 5 minutes.

Anyone who is facing any sort of formatting issue; instead of breaking your head in other USB related solution simply switch to mac. I guess mac has the best compatibility for sandisk products.

Ok so according to you the issue is with Microsoft sounds strange to me. Its obvious that almost 70 to 80% of the sandisk user blame sandisk for their issues but this is the first time I heard someone blaming Microsoft for the same. I do appreciate your research, but however I suspect that a Live Linux CD would have worked for some cases.

The error is in the drive’s FAT and the main reason for such error in them is removal without using windows Safe Removal option. Anyways if you encounter such problem remember:
    • You use a utility in order to dump or save the drive’s first sector
    • Then zero out the first sector
    • Now make sure that you can format the drive

As far as I am concerned under windows 7 you can flag the drive as Read only if its the part of a HomeGroup. From this I can however understand that windows 7 are trying to prevent us from formatting the drive. If you google you can simply find various solutions and suggestion that have been provided to us. Those are from registry hack to safely Removing the drive then reinstalling it and safely removing it the second time. From google I can only make out that the issue is not just limited to SanDisk, in fact I can say that there is a bug somewhere between windows and SanDisk.