Thread: How to debrick my Sandisk Sansa Express?

How to debrick my Sandisk Sansa Express?

Hello guys, I am in a mess, total mess! I bought a Sansa Express and tried updating it’s firmware to 01.01.05 and something weird happened. When I was about to finish the update I tried turning the device on and all that I could see was SanDisk logo followed by blank screen. I connected the device again and happened to see two drives . I clicked on both of them but windows explorer rudely threw a message “Please insert a disk in drive [X:]." What do I do now? A;; suggestions for tests/ fixes are welcome.

Re: How to debrick my Sandisk Sansa Express?

The data might be potentially important for you, but I guess the device would be more important. Nothing else can be done but formatting. Format the entire drive and get rid of the issue completely. Right now, that is the only solution you have. So, go ahead with it

Did not help buddy. The data was definitely important for me still I considered formatting considering the fact you efficiently stated. But unfortunately, It made not the slightest mistake and the issue prevails. It still shows the same error and I am unable to access my device.

I don’t think you should have gone ahead with formatting the entire drive. Formatting should always be the last option. However, what I would suggest is soft-rsetting of the device. It will find an STMP3600. Ask it to install the software automatically and you are probably through! That is all you need to do. You could have avoided formatting, had I replied a bit earlier or had you waited for few more minutes.

Let me put forward another debricking procedure. I doubt, the main cause behind this bricking is the chipset. Try this and let me know if it works
    - Connect your device to the system when you are holding the volume down button
    - As soon as you see the ‘Found New Hardware’ window for an STMP300, allow Windows to find ‘Player Recovery Class’
    - Find the firmware update utility for Sansa Express and run it

Connect your device to the system when you are holding the volume down button
    Did this in the most perfect way possible.

As soon as you see the ‘Found New Hardware’ window for an STMP300, allow Windows to find ‘Player Recovery Class’
    ‘Found new hardware’ appeared but windows couldn’t find ‘Player Recovery Class’
    What can be done now? Any alternate method?

Did you properly press the volume down button and held it through out the process. It might take time but patience is the only solution you have for that right now. There definitely is an alternate method! A more reliable one, infact. But it’ll include a bit of googling, downloading and installation. As I said, the issue is with the chipset. All you got to do is search for a driver for STMP3600 chip it is easily available or download the update of any other software using it. The player recovery class will be installed with it an after connection the installation will carry on as any other installation process.