Thread: Where do I find Bitlocker and its password for my Sandisk cruzer?

Where do I find Bitlocker and its password for my Sandisk cruzer?

I happened to buy a new SanDisk Cruzer 16 gb but they did not provide me with Bitlocker password. As a solution to which I decided to format it which have turned out to be a problem now. I also own a cruzer of 2 gb which has autorun, lauchpad and launch U3 installed in it. Apart from which I own another Sandisk cruzer of 8 gb which has no OS installed at all. All it has is the user files that I’ve loaded. Coming back to my point, I want the bitlocker, now where can I find it? Or is it even available at the first place?

Re: Where do I find Bitlocker and its password for my Sandisk cruzer?

You have some sort of misconception, it seems. You need to understand flash drive a bit. Let me try explaining it to you a bit. First of all, Bitlocker comes as a function of Windows Visa and higher versions. It is not a feature of the flash drive, neither does it come preloaded in any memory stick. To use bitlocker, you need to configure the same on your system and the files on the drive should be stored on the drive at the time of configuration.

Well explained CassandraD, it is always kind to share knowledge. It’s not just Chirag@LA but there are many others who are unaware of most facts about flash drives. Since you’ve started the legacy, I would like to join in and explain a point which you probably missed out.

The point is that, keep a fact in your mind that no flash drive come with OS. They don’t need 1. However, older SanDisk flash drives sported an application platform called U3 and this is not used anywhere and have become obsolete. The last device that used it came out in Nov 09, I doubt. And all the devices that came after did not just avoid it but made it incompatible of U3.

Have you ever used bitlocker before? I have and I don’t like the restriction to which it tends to keep us tied with. I recently came to know about this SandiskSecureAccess which looks and works better. It is also bitlocker-type-hurdle proof and easy to use. I recommend you to use it because it is more efficient and more secured than most other

Before actually going ahead I would like to know something about SandiskSecureAccess if you don’t mind. Can you please tell me the security mechanism it follows so that I get a detailed information before going ahead.

Oh definitely. I appreciate people who are cautious before stepping into anything. The security mechanism is as given below:
    - PC app accepts the password from the user
    - It verifies password hash with hash on thumb drive
    - If verified, a control code is forwarded by the app to the thumb drive so that it allows decryption
    - Encryption happens with the use of a common AES key and not from the password

The bitlocker restrictions annoy me equally. If you are recommending something easier, better, efficient and secured, I’ll be more than happy to try it. But from where can I find it? Can you help me find one?

If that’s not too much of botheration to you

Not at all, you can download it from the below given link.

Please feel free to get back to me, if you need any assistance in installation.

Yes I need your assistance. I downloaded the file that you gave and tried installing it. But, it’s giving an error that I can’t make out. Please help me out with it.

The error is as stated below:

X ERROR - Please run Sandisk Secure Access from a Sandisk external device.
    How do I fix it and go ahead?

Ah! not a major issue. That’s because you are trying to install it on your pc and not on your flash drive. I’ll tell you how to go ahead with the installation process.

- Download the file from the link I provided
    - Copy the exe file into your flash drive
    - Double click on it and go ahead as it guides you.