Thread: Switch to 4G SIM to get AT&T 4G Service?

Switch to 4G SIM to get AT&T 4G Service?

Few days ago I have got a BB 9900 from AT&T. when I called up the AT&T via 611, they told me that I can switch the SIM card without any problem; But i have Blackberry Data Plan with unlimited internet. Now I decided to change the IMEI number because to keep updated in case I need to unlock the phone. Once again called 611 and they have updated my IMEI number and offered me a unlock code. Now he told me that my phone has 4G capability but he suggested me to switch SIM cards from 3G to a 4G SIM card. Is it really required to change the sim in order to get 4G services? Can’t they upgrade it directly on 3G SIM?

Re: Switch to 4G SIM to get AT&T 4G Service?

Once I had very old 3G sim card in BB Bold 9900. After reading this post, I have called the AT & T and for me also they told me the same thing that I need to change the SIM card in order to get the 4G network or 4G services. I previously had 4G sim card, so I it was easy to update. But changing to this SIM card I didn’t noticed anything except only one change that I there is no optio for choosing 4G/3G or 2G connection modes in Mobile Network menu. Also there is no much difference can be noticed in increased speed.

As far as I know that the 4g speed is depends on the location. Different location gets different speed depending the network technology your have in your location. The 4G network should offer a lot more speed. I have a 4g/ LTE Wifi Pod from AT&T. I am currently getting average about 8Mb download speed and 3mb upload speed. If there is a LTE support on your area, then you should expect more and more also better.

I think that it is all about Provisioning. The 4G phones makes use of different APN for data access than the 3G phones. If you want to switch between 4G and 3G devices, you should need a SIM card that is provisioned for both phones and networks. I don’t know whether it has something do with the phone’s software settings. Go to the AT&T store and they will make your phone as properly provisioned. For both networks.

It is already said that AT&T provisions SIM cards so that they can allow access to the HSPA+ network which we now call as 4G. I think that without that line code and using HSPA+ APN for your account you there is no way you can take the advantage. If you are really using BB Bold 9900 now, in that case you should get a provisioned account for it so that there will not be a necessary to change the SIM card again and again.

Few days back I have bought the Inspire 4G from AT&T and it comes with a new SIM card. The old SIM I have was 3G compatible. There is nothing printed on the new SIM card apart from its serial number. When I out the 3G SIM card in Inspire 4G, data was not accessible. For that reason I called AT&T and they told me that I don’t have "provisioned" account or account not "provisioned" for data. He then reinstated existing data plan and provisioned to 4G. Now I turn on the phone and it shows that data is connected whilst indicating H+ in the notification bar. But he told me that I can expect 3.5G until 4G came on line in my area.

Quote Originally Posted by Izna View Post
    Few days back I have bought the Inspire 4G from AT&T and it comes with a new SIM card. The old SIM I have was 3G compatible. There is nothing printed on the new SIM card apart from its serial number. When I out the 3G SIM card in Inspire 4G, data was not accessible. For that reason I called AT&T and they told me that I don’t have "provisioned" account or account not "provisioned" for data. He then reinstated existing data plan and provisioned to 4G. Now I turn on the phone and it shows that data is connected whilst indicating H+ in the notification bar. But he told me that I can expect 3.5G until 4G came on line in my area.
    It seems to me that you have done the same thing as I did here. I provisioned my account for 4G data. Then I go to Home>Settings>About Phone>Network>Mobile network type but the "HSDPA", not HSPA+. Even I didn’t see H+ symbol on the notification bar. I can get 3.6Mbps download speed on AT&T Data. I know that it is little Higher than 3G speed but I was expecting 7Mbps to 21Mbps. The mobile manual says that I can get 28Mbps download on its HSPA+ network. It seems like AT&T handling some kind of competition with a Data program with other carriers.