Thread: USB 3.0 ExpressCard on Sony Vaio Z1 cannot detect USB 3.0 hub

USB 3.0 ExpressCard on Sony Vaio Z1 cannot detect USB 3.0 hub

I am using the Sony Vaio Z1 laptop. Unluckily it has express card slot with which I can extend the features. Recently I have installed the USB 3.0 Express card on it. It was detected properly and was working fine with USB 3.0 stick and HDD. Yesterday I connected a USB 3.0 hub using the Y-cable came with it but it doesn’t work. The system even detected the hub. I have AKE 5Gbps USB 3.0 ExpressCard.

Re: USB 3.0 ExpressCard on Sony Vaio Z1 cannot detect USB 3.0 hub

It seems to me that your AKE is not getting enough power supply through a hub. I didn’t find any way to solve it. Any first check that you have used the compatible drivers for the Express card. Try latest one if necessary. Make sure that power cord supplied with the hub is not faulty. You might need to add more power to get the hub working.

It seems to me that power running or supplied to the Express card slot mat be less than that of usb2 ports. Otherwise I think that the AKE card itself acting as a resistor to reduce the output voltage or wattage. USB 3.0 requires more power than USB 2.0. Make sure that the USB 3.0 express card is compatible to expand with the Hub. Some may not be able to expand through itself.

What version of Expresscard slot you own? As far as I know that USB 3.0 will work. But you may not get the full 5Gb / s using the Hub. This is due to the limit of Expresscard 34. You should also take into account that mobile disks have enough power. These maps show not just that, so you need either a power line on that map Or a separate power supply via the USB ports fixed. Are you sure that you have a ExpressCard on a PCMCIA slot (54mm wide). There are different models. I have also heard that an Express Card with USB 3.0 ports is not supposed to run in Windows XP.