Thread: Does Sony Vaio SE comes with an IPS screen?

Does Sony Vaio SE comes with an IPS screen?

My friend showed me a brand new Sony VAIO SE 15.5. While seeing it, I have noticed that colors do not invert at all and due to these viewing angles are excellent. But I didn’t see anywhere like review nor the Sony website mentions IPS. Also I didn’t see anywhere saying that it has 1080p screen with wide viewing angles. So far I know that only IPS screen with better viewing angles but I am not sure VAIO SE1080p screen always IPS. What do you know about it?

Re: Does Sony Vaio SE comes with an IPS screen?

Today I have got a Sony Korea brochure in which it states Sony vaio SE has an IPS screen. Otherwise I don’t think that there is any way you can achieve such vertical bottom viewing angles. So it certainly has an IPS screen. However somewhere I read that it may come with the low quality LED backlighting. Don’t think that it makes sense since it comes with a good viewing angles (IPS tech) and high brightness (LED) but poor color gamut reproduction.

It doesn’t seems to me that it is an important factor if the Vaio SE has an IPS screen since it depends on the feature you need. Calling it an IPS or TN panel doesn’t change anything about its pros and cons?

The color accuracy is lacking in this model even with the great Viewing angles. There is no doubt about it.

As far as I know that there are several technologies for "in-plane switching" including, IPS, PVA, MVA, AFFS. It doesn’t matter what technology that your device has, it is just an acronym. The only thing matter is the:
    • Brightness, contrast, black levels
    • Color gamut, color accuracy
    • Viewing angles – horizontal angles and vertical angles.

However the Sony Vaio comes with a low quality "IPS" screens somewhat similar to Lenovo X220 and HP Envy 15. You will see very narrow color gamut and inaccurate colors along with backlight bleed.