Thread: How to 'defrag' or 'trim' SSD array in Sony Vaio Z21

How to 'defrag' or 'trim' SSD array in Sony Vaio Z21

I think that SSD's supposedly need trimming or defragmentation to maintain them in condition. Due to this you will not see any degradation after about 4 months but really don’t know whether it is necessary or not. Now somewhere I read that Sony is looking for a custom ssd array in the Z21. So I am not sure whether defrag is the best way to do in It or not. I am slight afraid to use 'defragger' on it since it may break it. Do you think that a Windows program can deal with this SSD ARRAY?

Re: How to 'defrag' or 'trim' SSD array in Sony Vaio Z21

The reports say that there is a garbage collector inside the SSD Array control, which will be capable to run when the device is idle. So you don’t need to worry about that. There is no need to make use of the defragger or other tools. You simply let it run and it will take care of everything and itself. My SSD array still showing over 1000MB/sec with sequential reading

The Intel news says that the latest RST driver version 11.5 is just around the corner. It is not an official statement yet but rumors say that it may bring TRIM to RAID0 arrays. You have to wait for its release. On the other hand the Windows reports that TRIM is enabled but there is no guarantee that TRIM works. The Raid controller might take command but there is no hope that it can do anything. However I don’t think that that newer driver change something to TRIM support. The Sony has to do something with their new BIOS.

I've got a VGN-Z5 Sony with the 128GB SSD drives in RAID two composite. Under Windows, there is only one hard drive with 250GB. A backup is now I noticed the following:

HD0 is partially filled - HD1 seems to be completely empty.

I thought that in such a RAID system programs and data are increasingly distributed on both plates, so that can add up to read the speeds of both individual plates. Moreover it does not allow any settings on the type of RAID. It will probably be but a Raid 0, which is purely to speed up and not used for data security.

There was a hardware RAID controller manufacturers (I think it was Adaptec) from which came the statement that it will probably not be possible to allow TRIM in a RAID array.

Windows actually sends TRIM commands to the driver but the preset version driver drops these commands and does NOTHING. Intel claimed its RST drivers don't support TRIM in RAID arrays. It is just a mistake or just your assumption that recent drivers can do TRIM in RAID mode. As far as I know that TRIM only works with those drives which are not in Raid ArRay.

11.5 drivers may bring TRIM for RAID arrays.

You should ensure that the SSD is equipped with the latest firmware includes TRIM support. If not, should definitely be updated to the latest firmware. For a new or never used one SSD can get started immediately with the firmware update. But if any has been used SSD should proceed as follows:
    • A backup of all files needed to create, because the SSD is completely erased
    • Windows booting from alternative media and executing an erase (Indilinx: Sanitary Erase , and all other SandForce controller: HDDErase )
    • Latest firmware downloaded to the SSD