Thread: LG Spectrum scanning SD card continually

LG Spectrum scanning SD card continually

My new LG spectrum is giving serious problem with accessing files from the SD card. So far I have stored lots of music files. After adding, I disconnected my phone from the PC. Then phone showed me that "scanning SD card for media files" but it didn’t stop at all. Moreover it does not allow me to access any files in the SD card. I again reconnected my phone to pc and deleted half of files, this time the phone able to get all files. But during the next connection, the issue re-appears. Does anyone know why?

Re: LG Spectrum scanning SD card continually

Can you tell the size of your memory card? How much data stored on the SD card now? Make sure that you have not filled the SD card fully. Keep some more space as free so that the mobile able to use it for other task. Sometimes Smartphones uses free SD memory temporarily for different purpose. It helps the phone to increase it speed and performance thus causing quick output or result. Also make sure that you are storing compatible media files which can be readable through the LG spectrum.

This issue is really strange and never seen before with a new phone. It is either the problem with phone firmware or the SD card itself.

Did you try formatting the phone?

Did you try using another higher end card?

Did you try storing different format media files? Make sure that you have not put some other files along with the media files in the same directory.

As far as I know that the phone scans SD card for new media files (music, video, pictures). It may take some time depending on how much it is and how big the card. I use a Samsung Galaxy S2 and only after turning I see the same message about the media scanner. In between, I see the message but cannot deal with the difference in type. Android scans all available media files at startup and also when an SD card is mounted. You cannot really stop this function because it is an Android service.

I was a windows user since its inception. However, from what I understand that the Android scans all the multimedia files in the phone and in the SD card regardless of the location where they are. You need to remove the SD and test it manually to know whether it is card itself is too slow or not. But I think that you can easily access the SD card content by the help of Android file manager. Also see whether there is any app in the Android market that invokes the android media scanner to rescanning the SD card for new media files.

I assume that the issue is happening only with the pre-installed audio and video players. In my experience I know that it happens with "Mort player" and "tinyPlayer", and both read the contents of a folder only when the program starts. Moreover, this behavior was already from the outset, so I had typed on one of the preinstalled apps ("Music", "video player") or an android service and maybe it's an LG-typical effect.

It seems to be the process to act android.process.media, looking for changes on the SD card each time for new media files to the gallery, the music and video player. At least lets the CPU activity of this process suggests that is about 10%, while this message appears. So no app is the cause, but an Android service. Nevertheless, it would be interesting to know if you can somehow control these scans - so that they will become triggered less often...

The process is triggered every time when the SD card is available back in Android alone (i.e. if the USB sharing is disabled) or at boot time. Just scan through and the Android knows where to find about all the media files (the actual location really does not matter) - it is just used for indexing. With root privileges, you can probably with multi-mount handle something (then you would have to initiate the scanning process itself, e.g. with SDrescan ) - or you just copy the files by using e.g. Windows-Freigaben/Samba-Shares EStrong File Explorer . Even then you had to manually start the scanning process to use the new media information.