Thread: iPhone 3GS Black Screen and Error 1601

Liam Brown Guest

sad iPhone 3GS Black Screen and Error 1601

Hi all,

I've recently been having problems with an iPhone 3GS that I got given by a friend to repair and can't get my head around the problem. I have seen this issue over the internet and on this forum but no one seems to be having the same faults that I am getting on this phone. I'll explain:

I think they tried to jailbreak the phone and have completely messed it up - there is no way that I am able to get the Apple logo to show on the screen or get the phone to show any signs of life yet when I plug it into iTunes it is immediately recognised as an iPhone 3GS in recovery mode.

With it being recognised in iTunes I have tried restoring it with about 4 firmwares (including iOS 5.1 downloaded directly from Apple) but all of the restore attempts come back with Error 1601

Having read about a bit I downloaded iReb and put the phone in DFU mode using that. This still made iTunes come back with the same errors.

I then saw online something about using TinyUmbrella. So I downloaded that too and made it start the TSS Server (is that right?) which made iTunes come back with Error 2005. This error I still can't fix.

Whatever I do I seem to be going around from Error to error. Has anyone else had this problem? If so I'd be so grateful for some advice!

Re: iPhone 3GS Black Screen and Error 1601

I think that iTunes is having a problem contacting apple server when you try doing a restore. Go into tiny umbrella then click settings then UNcheck set hosts file ti Cydia on exit close tiny umbrella and try again. If that doesn't work try going into DFU mode again (hold both for ten seconds then home for 7).