Thread: Hp Pavilion dm4 is not starting up and stays on a black screen with flashing cursor in upper left

Hp Pavilion dm4 is not starting up and stays on a black screen with flashing cursor in upper left

I was just using Hp Pavilion dm4 and I don’t know what went wrong with the same and it just rebooted and then did not start up, it just stays on a black screen with flashing cursor in upper left, I have tried starting the computer In "Media" mode and I am able to access all the files but then I don’t know why is it not getting started in normal mode, is there anyone who can help me out???

Re: Hp Pavilion dm4 is not starting up and stays on a black screen with flashing cursor in upper left

I was just using Hp Pavilion dm4 and I don’t know what went wrong with the same and it just rebooted and then did not start up, it just stays on a black screen with flashing cursor in upper left, I have tried starting the computer In "Media" mode and I am able to access all the files but then I don’t know why is it not getting started in normal mode, is there anyone who can help me out???
    See as you have mentioned that you are able to access the system in Safe Mode then just check if you are able to access the Command Prompt or not, I also wanted to know which operating system you are having so that I can have a better idea of the issue that you are facing, first just check out for an command prompt option and then let me know if you get it.

Re: Hp Pavilion dm4 is not starting up and stays on a black screen with flashing cursor in upper left

It is not the safe mode that I am talking about it is some special mode called "Media" mode and it just allows one to access web, IM, skype, photos, video, music and so. I had not tried out this mode yet but then today this was the only option that was starting the system, I have been performing a no of diagnostics to solve this issue but then none of them helped, I am still getting the same black screen when I am trying to load the system in normal mode, The system is running on windows 7, is there anything else that I can try out to get rid of this issue????

In that case I just want you to turn off the laptop and then just tap f8 as soon as it stars up and see if you are able to launch the Windows Recovery Console or not, if yes then you can use Windows 7 Recovery CD and then chose the repair option and see if it is helping out or not.

I am willing to try out the same but then the other issue here is that I am not having the Windows 7 Recovery CD so how will I perform the repair, I mean that is there any other way by which I can repair the laptop without the cd ?? Any further help for the same will be highly appreciated.

In that case you can you can just download the below relevant ISO from the below link:

When you are done with the downloading part then you can just use ImgBurn to burn the ISO to a CD, if you want then you can also refer to some guide for the same and once the cd is ready then you can try out the repairing process, if it did not help you for the first time then perform it a couple of times again and see if it is helping. Just try it out and then do post back the result that you get.

Hey thanks for the same, I have downloaded the iso file from the link that you had posted and have created a system recovery disc as you recommended and have restored the computer to the previous date when I was not having this issue, the process was successful for the first time and I did not had any issues with the same but then the problem was still the same after trying out all this, later as you had mentioned to try out the same system restoring process again, I have by now tried it out 4 times but no matter what I do the issue is still the same, is there anything that I can try out??? Thanks for your help so far.

I will suggest you to boot from the same cd again after selecting Repair Your Computer just choose the Command Prompt and after it gets load just enter the below commands and make sure that you are entering them as it with the space and hit enter after each line:
    Bootrec.exe
    bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup
    c:
    cd boot
    attrib bcd -s -h -r
    ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
    bootrec /RebuildBcd
    bootrec /fixmbr
    bootrec /fixboot

When you are done with all of the above then just take out the cd and then reboot the machine and see if it is helping.