Thread: Stereo Mix has been removed from the Lenovo X6x/t6x series

Stereo Mix has been removed from the Lenovo X6x/t6x series

Read in most of the threads about the recording through the stereo mix that has been disabled from the maximum Lenovo ThinkPad. I thought that initially it was just a small issue only with my thinkpad but later on I heard the same thing with the X61, and now X6x and t6x series which I am complete aware of with this issue.

I don’t think that we have yet got any official response regarding this thing. And also nobody is aware of the reason for the elimination of this feature. Is there anyone who knows anything about the stereo mix elimination from?

Re: Stereo Mix has been removed from the Lenovo X6x/t6x series

Yeah you are right there have been lot of discussions in many of the other threads too. Anyways according to me I think that the stereo mix is disabled purposely from the RIAA in order to prevent recording from licensed sources like internet radio channel. Or maybe it Looks like Soundmax sealed stereo mix for good on the T61p.

Tried a lot but nothing worked, I don’t think there is any beneficial advantages.

I guess RIAA (Recording Industry Association of America) or any other organization cannot be the reason for the ban on the stereo mix of the thinkpads, they can’t force them to do so. I am sure there is something to do with the sound driver that has been messed up.

Initially when I bought a T60 thinkpad for me, the stereo mix worked very well with this system. But later on after several weeks it disappeared the same issue occurred in me too, the stereo mix disappeared in my system. Now I have bought a T61 and I am not sure whether it going to really work in it for a long time. However I am quite sure that it will work at in this system.

Let me show you all something very much interesting. I have mentioned a part of ADIHDAUD.INF file which actually includes the stereo mix option. With this option you can easily make out that the stereo mix has been intentionally disabled in the system. For your kind information let me tell you that ADIHDAUD.INF file is nothing but a part of the sound driver that come from Lenovo.

• HKR,AD1984\\Disable, MicBP, 1, 00
    • HKR,AD1984\\Disable, OutR, 1, 01 ;; Disable Stereo Mix Capture Node
    • HKR,AD1984, "MonoMux", 1, 0x00
    • HKR,AD1984, "DACLatency", 0x00010001, 0x00000078
    • HKR,AD1984, Cmplx, 1, 01 ; AD1984 is Complex only
    • HKR,AD1984,SPDIFWithMaster, 1, 01 ; Combined SPDIF control tracking Master
    • HKR,AD1984, MicBoostValue, 0x00010001, 0x00000020
    • HKR,AD1984, PortMicBias, 0x00010001, 0xfffff44f
    • HKR,GlobalSettings,DisableHpShutsOffRearSpeaker,1,01; Disable HP muting
    • HKR,GlobalSettings, VrefLatency, 1, F8, 00, 00, 00 ; MicBiasDelay latency 250ms

I would really appreciate your efforts. And also I would like to tell you that this will really help other people to let them about the fact that the stereo mix option has been purposely disabled from the system.

I really do not under what exactly is mentioned in that piece of code or something but i somehow wanted to know which part is exactly making the stereo mix disable. Is there no solution to make the option enable by our own self.

I was told by a dealer to uninstall and reinstall all the drivers, but then after doing so nothing worked.

If you see carefully in the above setting, in the second line its:

HKR,AD1984\\Disable, OutR, 1, 01 ;; Disable Stereo Mix Capture Node

Now let me tell you that this line specifically disables the stereo mix option.
    And in order to enable it, you have to just do this:

HKR, AD1984\\Disable, OutR, 1, 00 ;

My only complaint is that if something like this has been permanently been disabled from the system then definitely the customers should be informed before the do the purchase. Now the issue is that how come the user will be able to access the thinkpad whenever they are suppose to edit some movie or watch or listen to the TV with the USB external tuner as the Video will only be displayed and the audio stream will not mapped through the ThinkPad's audio card and therefore there will be no sound.

I am not sure but I think other manufacturers must have not done this in their laptops such as HP, Dells, Compaqs and Toshibas as I have never read any threads in their forums regarding this issue.

And in order to enable it, you have to just do this:

HKR, AD1984\\Disable, OutR, 1, 00 ;
    For your kind information doing so will definitely enable your recording controls but guess what, you will be still restricted from recording from the stereo mix.
    Actually the thing is that it has been sealed by the SoundMax purposely but for a good reason. I am not sure whether it is actually a hardware or software restriction but I guess that it could be related to hardware.