Thread: No sound from Dell Inspiron N5110 Integrated speakers

No sound from Dell Inspiron N5110 Integrated speakers

I am using the Dell Inspiron N5110 laptop. Suddenly after the windows update, the built-in speakers stopped working and no sound at all. Updated the IDT driver, still no joy. Connected the Headphones and it works perfectly. Everything checked and unchecked as needed. Power settings also got changed . this is just a 5 month old laptop and couldn’t not able to find a solution yet.

Re: No sound from Dell Inspiron N5110 Integrated speakers

As far as I know that all Dell laptops which contain the HD audio uses some kind of switching mechanism in the headphone jack socket and it is really complicated to understand for a normal user. Unlike other mechanical parts, these jacks as follows current & impedance-sensing techniques in order to activate or modify the software configuration automatically when detected. It is for sending audio signal to the speakers. In your case, the problem might be the sensor which is not sensing the pin inside the jack. So due to this there is no audio signal transmission to the speakers.

I hope that your dell laptop previously came with the Dell Diagnostics tool to check and troubleshoot some minor and major issues. So in order to know the sense pin, run the Diagnostics and see whether you can hear the sound from the speakers or not. If you cannot hear the sound through it, then just assume that it is obviously the sound problem. Try original factory configuration like PC Restore in XP and Factory Image Restore in Vista.

The drivers and BIOS settings can often be the cause of problems related to children playing. Update drivers regularly to achieve optimal performance from your computer. To determine if your computer has a hardware problem, run the diagnostic test PSA (Pre-Boot System Assessment), Dell. For information on how to diagnose and identify the problem, refer to Dell Knowledge Base article:

I can install the chipset but not the audio driver. Upon installation, I receive an error message telling me that this driver is not suitable to my computer (though it is an inspiron N5110). I even tried the different driver but it does not work.

I think that you are having problem with the registry settings and it is probably related to the driver file. My Inspiron model installed with Sigmatel audio. And it if I use wrong driver in this device, it will surely going to ruin the sense pin because I have personally experienced this. The incompatible driver works and you will not see any kind of problem with the installation and no error. But it will not recognize the sense pin or the switching software. Then it will not able to pass the audio signal to the speaker, since the switching process is yet not happened.

The problem is described as "a cracking sound in the songs" or "choppy sound". As you listen, to play any audio file, regardless of size, sound quality is terrible. Unfortunately, the Dell forums and technical support leaves much to be desired. After researching several sites, I managed to solve this problem, and strangely enough this is something totally alien to the sound drivers. The solution to this problem is to update the driver for the ATI Xpress 1150 [HyperMemory].

Did you try the following steps:
    • First of all open the "Sound and Audio devices" from the control panel.
    • Go to the “Playback" tab and choose "Independent Headphones" as the playback device.
    • Now move to the "Recording" tab and choose the "Microphone Array" as the recording device.
    • Click on "Properties"> "Listen" tab.
    • Check "Listen to this device" box.
    • In the dropdown box named "Playback thru this device" choose "Independent Headphones".
    • Now again all "Playback" tab by closing all boxes.
    • There you should choose the""Speakers/Headphones" as the playback device.