Thread: Audio failure plaguing Dell laptops, where is the solution

Audio failure plaguing Dell laptops, where is the solution

So far I have seen that many people are posting several threads regarding different kind of Audio issues noticed and experiencing in Dell laptops. Some call it as Cracking sound, weird sound, strange sound and some says that sound lag. All symptoms are noticed during playing music or videos. Even after several troubleshooting guide and fix, still many people could not able to solve the problem completely. Do you think that the dell is aware about this? When it will going to bring a major fix for the audio problem?

Re: Audio failure plaguing Dell laptops, where is the solution

I completely disagree with that. I don’t think that Dell Laptops exclusively this issue. The problem is due to the Digital vs. Analog audio decoding. Different kind of sound could be the cause of anything like bandwidth problems, audio codecs, CPU process, system power, etc. You have to run the built-in audio playback troubleshooter. One thing makes sure that you have used the internal Audio Controller as a default audio device. Get rid of the USB audio devices and use only integrated HD Audio to notice the actual issue.

I had a Sigmatel sound card and an ATI Radeon Xpress 1150 graphics card, and also suffered from cracking sound under Vista. After I installed latest driver for my video card the crash had disappeared. Apparently, the driver of the video card and sound card driver not getting along.

The problem is that the dell sound driver did not activate the line in input, or even the mic in playback mode. I could help someone, in case there a compatible driver that allows to activate the microphone or line in, in that way.

In my case the problem was due to the faulty or outdated Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver. In order to solve the problem, I first removed the outdated version driver. The thing is both the Dell Support Center and Windows Update at present offering the outdated versions. So you need to download the updated driver directly from the Intel site for the compatible OS.

I also have seen that there are several threads complaining about the same issue. I have seen this Audio related issue in most Dell XPS laptops. Many people tried several things to reduce the problem but no had able to permanently eliminate it and so far there is no answer from the Dell side. It seems like Dell is not aware about the issue or may be working on it. This is really bothersome and Dell never made a promise to fix this.