Thread: FBSync - A Sync App with Dropbox for FBReader

FBSync - A Sync App with Dropbox for FBReader

I have been using the 2 different Android devices for the purpose of reading Ebooks. I have installed the FBReader in both devices. The first device is a NookColor and the other device is a Sprint EVO4G. But this is where I ran into problem. Usually I read the same books on both but due to this I need to spend lot of time to get into the place where I end to read when I switched the device. Due to this reason I have installed the FBsync. This app will synchronize place in each book among both devices. It also support Dropbox interface. Currently this app is v1.0.14 beta.

Re: FBSync - A Sync App with Dropbox for FBReader

I tried to install this app on my android device and at that time I have found that it is not possible to install the app without rooting the device. However the android does not all this app to mess with another app due to some security reasons. The FBreader is a very famous app in android market but the fbsync is not officially disclosed with FB reader. So there are no way the app functions without rooting.

This is true that unrooted android device does not support this app. If you need to install FBsync and get it work, you must root the device. This devices first uses the root to get access of the FBReaderJ books database and after that by the use of same root access, it will kill the FBReaderJ process prior to syncing the data. Without killing the FBReader process, you cannot reload the database. Make sure that you have installed the FBreader on both device and used it at least once to access book database in both devices.

As far as I know that this program still in beta version and tested it extensively on several android devices. One thing is sure that, this app will not do any kind of modification to the FBReader's databases (not even its structures). But there is a possibility that it could lose the book's places. For this, you have to back up FBReaderJ using Titanium Backup. Just to make sure that you are in safe side. No matter how it is, this apps works really well because I personally experienced this.

I have heard that this FBsync does not fit in all versions of android OS. The latest version called Ice Cream Sandwich does not support the FBsync. The developer had disabled this previously. Even if you are using the older version, you must root you device. No matter whether it is a tablet pc or mobile phone, rooted phone only allows access to the FBreader directory.

In my case I have rooted the phone and installed the FBsync along with the FBreade. But the problem is, it doesn’t seem like page sync to work on both tablet and phone. There is no problem with the Backup and restore. Can anyone tell me how often should I sync the book?

Quote Originally Posted by Echa View Post
    In my case I have rooted the phone and installed the FBsync along with the FBreade. But the problem is, it doesn’t seem like page sync to work on both tablet and phone. There is no problem with the Backup and restore. Can anyone tell me how often should I sync the book?
    I hope that you know about the specifications of your device and also make sure that directory structures are in the proper manner. This app is only designed to work with the android FBReader. You have to specify the unique username and PIN to sync the book position. Make sure to use the same credentials to sync on multiple devices.

Quote Originally Posted by Echa View Post
    I also assume that you have installed the FBSync on both rooted using the same account. Make sure that you have configured to sync files via Dropbox. Use the same account on both devices to login into dropbox. When you sync on the device, it will upload/download any missing files on the device automatically. No matter how many times you sync, it will update the dropbox automatically. After that it will downloads files on the same directory where it uploaded from.

For example if you have stored books on /sdcard/Books in tablet, it should appear in the same directory of the phone. If there is no directory on the other end, then files won’t download.