Thread: Does disabling data service affect the MMS service on Nokia N8?

Does disabling data service affect the MMS service on Nokia N8?

Bought a new Nokia N8 for my sister. Trying out all features and making thing perfect and set for her as she is not well aware of the technical aspects of phone. As there is a continuous wifi access at my place I guess she doesn’t need a data service plan at all. So what I was think to do was to disable the data service on this phone, I know we can do it by getting into the phone’s settings but I am afraid that whether this will affect the MMS service on the phone. I am not sure with this but I afraid that what if the MMS stops working or something happens. So just wanted to confirm that will disabling the data service have any impact on the MMS service?

Re: Does disabling data service affect the MMS service on Nokia N8?

I think that’s a silly question you are asking. I don’t see any connection between the data plan and the MMS. For your kind information MMS service has nothing to do with the internet access or the data services. No matter you disable the data plan or activate it your MMS will be always working and keep going. Until the MMS settings are not messed up.

Let me tell you one more thing MMS has to do lot more with the carrier and your network and not with the data service. I too have a android smartphone, in that I can send unlimited texts including MMS and on the other hand my data plan is disabled with had no impact on MMS or anything that is not related to internet.

You have mistaken me my friend, I know the data plan has nothing to do with the MMS. Obviously everyone know that the existence of a data plan never have any effect on MMS features as both belongs to other sources.

But the problem is that I have set the phone’s data to only WLAN, so I am very much concerned about the capability of my phone’s MMS functionalities with the data. I just wanted to confirm that whether the MMS in my phone will perfectly work with the phone’s data set to only WLAN.

Hey I always wanted to know how you people use MMS. Whenever I try to send any image from my nokia mobile either I get an error message or either sending fails. i tried to send images through messages to my brother but I always failed in that. He says that I need to have some kind of setting on my in order to enable the MMS feature in my phone. Can anyone tell me how can I get MMS enabled in my Nokia phone. I am sure that my phone supports MMS but don’t know how. I can see options of MMS on it but what exactly should I do to send picture images to my brother’s phone. Please help me out.

OK, I am sure you have no done the required setting on your phone in order to activate or enable MMS. But that’s not a big deal, I will help you out with the perfect guidance. Just follow up the steps and perform on your phone, For Nokia MMS settings:

• Menu
    • Enable multimedia reception and incoming multimedia messages

Connection settings:
    • active multimedia settings :media

Edit active MMS settings:
    • settings name: media
    • session mode: permanent
    • data bearer: gprs

Hey I can help you out I guess. Even I have a Nokia N8 with me with a WiFi enabled in it. I also have a data plan enabled in it. Now the thing is that I can easily send pictured messages with this phone. But the data plan and the wifi gets confused a lot.

I can see an option in the phone which says that the phone should use the data only when it is unable to use or get connected to the Wifi. I already labeled the destination as wifi and data. Now if the destination does not have it then definitely it should connect you to the data.

Just make sure that made the settings as follows:
    • Menu
    • Connectivity
    • Data use in home network
    • WLAN only