Thread: How to read ebooks in Russian or other languages on Kindle DX Graphite

How to read ebooks in Russian or other languages on Kindle DX Graphite

I have recently bought Kindle DX Graphite international edition and it is said to be supporting other languages then English but then when I am trying to Russian document are getting messed up, I have also tried using Calibre but then it is not helping, so I just wanted to know if Cyrillic fonts can be recognize by the Kindle, or is there a way by which I can create a book so Kindle could recognize it properly and so??

Re: How to read ebooks in Russian or other languages on Kindle DX Graphite

I have recently bought Kindle DX Graphite international edition and it is said to be supporting other languages then English but then when I am trying to Russian document are getting messed up, I have also tried using Calibre but then it is not helping, so I just wanted to know if Cyrillic fonts can be recognize by the Kindle, or is there a way by which I can create a book so Kindle could recognize it properly and so??
    As far as I am aware the Cyrillic fonts are supported from the series of Kindle 3, I am not very sure if there is a font hack or anything like that for the Kindle DX Graphite international edition.

I think that for now you are having the below two options only:
    1. Converting the cyrillic text to PDF
    2. Waiting for the new firmware to come up with it.

I won’t suggest you to convert the document as there can be issued with the encoding between the Kindle and the original document, if at all you are trying out the encoding and you get an success in finding out the original encoding from the number of them then you can just make use of a tool to convert the input file to UTF-8 and after that you can very well convert the document as well, In the whole process everything is simple but then find out the original encoding from different ones is the real pain to deal with.

I think that the encoding pain is just with the Kindle, I have been testing out some other smaller e-Readers as well and they are capable of supporting other languages as well without any issues. I think that they have just named it as international but then it is actually not, a better solution for you will be converting it to PDF but then I have found people saying that the PDF support in Kindle as well as the DX is just horrible, I am not so sure about it but then you can find it out.