Thread: safari browser opens and closes automatically on my ipod touch

safari browser opens and closes automatically on my ipod touch

Hey my brother bought a new ipod touch for me last week. I loved the device, it’s worth using and also very much impressive. It almost seems like an iPhone, I can’t see any difference between both of them except that we can’t make calls from ipod touch, but obviously it’s a common sense. If we would have been able to make calls from ipod then it wouldn’t be called as “ipod”.

Anyways coming back to the topic I would directly discuss my doubt with you all people, the only thing which irritates me is the safari browser which has at all worked in my ipod yet. Always whenever I try to open the browser, it opens perfectly but then within few seconds it also closes automatically without giving any prior or later warning message. Anyone having any idea about this?

Re: safari browser opens and closes automatically on my ipod touch

Hey I am not sure whether this will work in your case or not but it did worked in my device, you can upgrade your iOS to iOS5, even if it is already upgraded there is no harm in upgrading them again. i know it sounds like foolish but it actually worked in my ipod touch. Even my browser was not responding and use to get close automatically but then later after consulting one of my friend I upgraded the OS and then when tried the browser it worked smoothly. Please try it and let me know.

You can try resetting your ipod touch; I guess that will solve your problem. You need not have to worry for the data loss; if you feel insecure for your data then you can take the backup for the safer side. For resetting your ipod touch you need to follow the following steps:

• Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button together
    • Press them for at least few seconds
    • As soon as the Apple Logo appears release all the buttons at once together.

This will most probably reset all your settings and maybe also possibly it will eliminate the related issues from your safari browser.

Don’t just reset your ipod touch then use your browser, for a safer side or to get a clear elimination of the problem related to the browser you need to also clear all the cookies and the cache from the browser of your device.
    For this you need to fist:

• Go to settings
    • Safari and
    • Then delete all cookies, history, cache and all similar things related to the safari which are possibly stored in your safari data list.

And if you have taken any back up of your ipod then you restore them by downloading any related application and then insatalling them in your device.

I am having the same issue with my ipad 2, every time when I to access certain websites I can see that my browser crashes. It doesn’t allows me to open any sites, but when i just keep the safari browser open with access any site it doesn’t creates any issue or does not crashes anyhow.

Let me tell you that I already tried resetting the ipad 2 which made no difference and I have already updated the OS which again didn’t sort out the issue. So I am sure it’s not going to work in you ipod touch also. Why is it so that my safari browser crashes only when I open any web site?

hey friends I am sorry if I am posting my issue in the wrong section but the reason I am here is that I can see a similar is being discussed here which is also encountered my iBook. Yeah I am facing the same issue with my iBook laptop and not with any small apple device. I am using a safari of version 1.3.2. Whenever I open the safari browser it not only shuts down automatically but also gives me an error message saying that "The application Safari has unexpectedly quit. The system and other applications have not been harmed."

As suggested to me I also tried to place the "com.apple.quicktime.plugin.preferences.plist" and the "com.apple.Safari.plist" in the Trash bin but it showed no effect. Updating software can’t be an option as for that I need a browser to be working only then I can access internet.

Let me tell you that for such issues there is no requirement for resetting your device or upgrading them. All you need to do is to enable the restrictions:

• Go to "Settings>General>Restrictions"
    • Tap "Enable Restrictions"
    • Enter a 4 digit passcode
    • On the list of programs below, switch Safari to "off"
    • Close Settings
    • Again go to Restrictions
    • Enter your passcode
    • Enable Safari again

I sorted the issue in my ipad using the same solution, and I would definitely work in your device also, so better try it. I am sure your safari will be not only in a working condition but also it will be faster than before.

Try out the following things and let me know the changes that have been taken place:

• Navigate to HD > Users > Your Account > Library > Preferences.
      In that folder, locate and move to the Trash, this file com.apple.Safari.plist.
    • Navigate to HD > Users > Your Account > Library > Safari.
      In that folder, move to the Trash all items except Bookmarks.plist.
    • Navigate to HD > Users > Your Account > Library > Caches > Safari.
      In that folder, move to the Trash, any items that appear.
    • Empty the Trash.

After trying out the above procedure if the browser restricts from opening then you can do one thing,

From the Safari contextual menu > select Reset Safari > Close Safari > Restart Safari