Thread: Can Pocket Digital Camera capture quality photographs

Can Pocket Digital Camera capture quality photographs

Does anyone know what that makes a camera to capture a good quality photograph?

If I talk about the DSLR cameras, they are not good enough. Is it about the photographic basics, light, composition and post processing rather than the hardware of photography?

Currently I am using the Nikon D7000 and using it with few lenses. I also have a Leica V-LUX 20 rangefinder. In some situations it’s not possible to carry whole lot camera gear. For that purpose I won few pocket digital cameras as an alternative solution. Is there any drastic difference in image quality with DSLRs and pocket digitals?

Re: Can Pocket Digital Camera capture quality photographs

The Panasonic has offered those small rangefinder Leicas. These are manufactured in the same company where Panasonic made the DMC-ZS9, which I got for only $159.95. Now the DMC-ZS9 somewhat similar to the Leica V-LUX 20 which really cost me $635. This is the bottom like digital camera from Leica. If you are looking for a top line pocket digital rangefinder, then you should look at M9 which cost around $7,000. So far the best DSLR from Leica is S2-P at $28,000 that is even without a lens.

Actually there is not much difference between the Leica and Panasonic. But in some cases the Leica is a red dot, which is because of its slightly different firmware.

If I talk about the photography, it is not the body or the sensor which captures the good quality photograph. It is actually depends on the speed and time of shot. A Good photographer even can get excellent range of photographs out of a $5.99 throw away film camera. But a no experience or imagination person with $6k body with a $4K lens may not be able to shot or capture what he is intended.

Some experts say that, the better equipment can or help you to do much more. You should consider about few key ingredients that makes the photo to look good. Light, equipment, software & knowledge are the most important and normal ingredients in this case. It is all about the game of experimenting using different techniques and variables. Every photographer knows that what camera/lens can do and also the graphics software but the actual act of shooting at a fraction of time is completely upon you and your wealth of experience.

The true thing is that, you can take great photos using smaller (non-DSLR/SLR) camera. But you will not able to get more sharpness and clarity as those big ones can do. A camera with good lenses always makes a great photo in every way and every point of view. You should have good lens on SLR/DSLR, even if it is a top line model.

I own Nikkor 50mm F/1.4 and Tokina 11-16mm F/2.8 lenses. These lenses will always help me to take great control over depth of field. These large apertures are effective in every way in order to isolate the main subject. Images captured using these lenses and easily draw the viewer's eye. I also have Leica 14 megapixel camera and it has incredibly sharp lens. The bottleneck here is small sensor and integrated focal range zoom. Even with these limitations, the Leica acts as acceptable alternative for Nikon D7000.

I am very much familiar with different range cameras, from Panasonic compacts to Canon G12 and Nikon D5000, D7000. I have used all of them with good range of lenses. They are capable to get good sharp shots but compacts were taking shiny images only during the easy lighting conditions. At the back end the sensor and software plays an important role but at the front end big lump of glass is essential.

Better equipment helps in following:

• Low light photography at higher ISO settings (without using the Flash).
    • Faster lenses to get control over depth of field.
    • Better the focal points, better control over isolating subjects.
    • Auto-bracketing and Multiple shots for easy HDR effects.

Above cannot be achieved using low end cameras. For a creative photography, better equipment brings you more and more possibilities and different options. For a decent snapshot, you should be well skilled.