Thread: HDD creates noise when installed in Lenovo T520 ultrabay slot

HDD creates noise when installed in Lenovo T520 ultrabay slot

I bought a new Hitachi 500Gb 7200rpm HDD in order to install it into my Lenovo T520 Ultrabay slot. Actually I also have a SDD which I was also planning to install in my main port.

With a huge confidence I was in an expectation that my T520 system will run more smoothly and efficiently with this configuration. But I was wrong, the case was different. After both the SDD and HDD installation when I ran the system, I noticed a vibration kind of noise constantly coming out of the HDD. I am still unaware why such noises are observed. Knowing that the noise is coming out from the HDD I have no other idea regarding this issue. Anyone who is facing the same problem also got a fix for the same?

Re: HDD creates noise when installed in Lenovo T520 ultrabay slot

Yes I have the exact issue. Even I bought one from ebay believing that it would work great when connected it actually filled up the whole gap without leaving any space. Also the drive worked well, I never thought that it would create any issue especially such vibrating noises.

Actually the problem is that we get this vibration noise just because the HDD is a 7200 RPM drive. You cant even imagine that when I start my system not only I can hear the noise but also my laptop’s palm rest vibrates along with the noise.

Now what I am planning is that, I will put a thin fabric on the top or/and bottom of the adapter. If this trick works and if I notice no sound or vibration then I will fix that fabric as it is using glue on the bay.

Using a fiber or a cloth doesn’t sound a good idea. Is there not any good software or hardware fix for this issue? If there then I desperately need any one of them as I can’t tolerate that noise while working on my laptop. Actually most of the time I work at night on that noisy system, and everybody knows that any sound that comes at night are produced at higher density which really irritates a lot, especially when you are working in a silent room. I am sure there is no other hardware that is creating the sound. The SDD in the main bay is fine and also the fan is not so noisy. It’s only the HDD which exclusively creates such vibrating noise.

If you are really not aware then let me tell you this, all the Hard Drive that are installed in your system has a motor fixed inside it. Obviously if you have a HDD of 7200rmp then it’s bound to create such sound.

How you can expect a motor not to make or create any noise when it’s rotating or spinning, I don’t think so that it’s a problem or a issue. But still if you really need a quiet and silent operation then I would suggest you to use an SDD.

If the reason which you said is really the main cause of this issue then why my HDD don not create any noise when installed in the ultrabay?

I have a Seagate 500GB Momentus XT in my Ultrabay. From past 2 month I have never encountered any issue with my system regarding the noise or vibration from the HDD.

I am sure it’s the Hitachi drive that is causing the problem and not other Hard drive.