Thread: Ultrabay HDD unmount frequently in both Lenovo T420 and T410 thinkpad

Ultrabay HDD unmount frequently in both Lenovo T420 and T410 thinkpad

I bought a new external 1 GB Ultrabay HDD to use it in my Lenovo thinkpad T420. But it’s not working the same I was expecting in fact I am facing a huge problem with the HDD. The HDD when attached, automatically unmount after every internal of time, you can say it detaches after every 24 hours. The only solution to mount it again into the system is to restart the laptop.

This thing is irritating me a lot and also it’s disturbing me and the process which is carried out while this problem occurs. I have already tried the HDD with my other thinkpad i.e. T410 and the problem is still the same. At least I am clear that there is no such problem with the laptop and the HDD is the only culprit as per my observation.

Re: Ultrabay HDD unmount frequently in both Lenovo T420 and T410 thinkpad

Are you sure that your hard drive is surely unmounted, I mean does your hard drive beeps a sound when it is unmounted or when you feel that it is unmounted.

Anyways I would suggest you to check the Ultrabay Hard Drive health by running HDTune, or else you can also run an Ultrabay hard drive scan in ThinkVantage Toolbox. If you do not have HDTune, you can download it from web.

It could be most probably power plan or the power management issue. I am not sure but just try and check to change it to the maximum performance, and if Lenovo Power Manager is not installed in your system then you can go for power plan. The Hard drive and monitor are turned off by the Power Saving or Balanced power plan or the system stands by after sometime.

Let me tell you that my HDD does not produce any beep sound when it is umounted, actually it automatically disappears. Not only with this but the issue is also with the generic ultrabay, I have tried the generic Ultrabay also.

And also I would like tell that my power plan is always at Maximum Performance when it is plugged, anyhow it is always plugged and also my laptop is always on most of the time due to the backup reason.

I am not sure but I guess either the ultrabay caddy or the hard drive is failing. The first thing you need to do is to check which HDD you are using for your Ultrabay. Then try and download the manufacturer tools for the Ultrabay HDD for the scanning purpose. Hope you understand what manufacturer tools is; eg. Seagate provides seatool. If it’s your portable hard drive which is failing and if it’s under warranty you can download and run seatool, get the authorization code for one for one exchange.