Thread: White Screen of death on BlackBerry Bold smartphone

White Screen of death on BlackBerry Bold smartphone

I am using the Blackberry Bold. There is a problem with White screen of Death. I can get messages and calls. Even I can sync and back up the phone but the screen is just white. I tried to re-install the OS’s even did a JL_Cmder Wipe and restore buy nothing bring back the phone to normal state. Do you think that it is software issue or just the faulty screen?

Re: White Screen of death on BlackBerry Bold smartphone

The screen might be shorting out lightly or may not be touching the board properly. First try gently press on the found side of the Screen and see whether it response anything, If it is still White, then you need to open the phone and look at the layer so that both screen and other components will be not sorting out. To make layer you can use a small piece of electrical tape. Reapply screws properly and start up the phone.

When I the same issue happened with me, I gently pressed the top corners with my fingers. No use, because the screen was already seated perfect. Then I opened the phone and put a small piece of paper above the connector between speaker and motherboard. I then put everything back as it was and tightened the screws. The piece of paper helped me to fit tighten but it didn’t bring back the screen. So obviously looks like a contact problem with the screen since the displays comes back often but stays only for few seconds.

If you are suffering from White screen of Death on Blackberry phone, then follow this procedure.
    • Take out the battery and press on the screen where you see blackberry logo. Usually the screen connector lies at the position inside the phone.
    • While keep pressing put the battery back to the phone
    • Now see whether the screen comes on or not. If it properly shows a display, then slowly remove the finger from the screen.
    • If there is any software related problem, it can be solved by flashing but if there is hardware related issue, you have to send it back to the repair center.

You have told that you can receive calls, messages and emails and even you can sync and take a backup. So this is not the software problem on phone. This issue obviously related to the motherboard/display chip. I heard that it's a known fault in some blackberry models. So if your phone does a warranty, then try sending it back for repair or for replacement. If your phone is on carrier based, you can also get replacement if it is only under the warranty period. Otherwise it will gonna cost you extra.