Thread: dell 1720 - program opens and closes itself automatically

dell 1720 - program opens and closes itself automatically

ok i got 2 issues with my dell 1720 laptop first and most annoying, sometimes when i click to open something with either the left or right buttons using the touch pad or my external mouse i have a malfunction if its a program i'll click or double click the program will open and then close by its self a second or less. sometimes it will do that a dozen times before the program stays open. if i'm on the internet i'll click on a link the website starts to load and stops. i've found that if i put the cursor over the link and hit the enter button the website will open with no problem. if i right click on something the little menu will pop up and disappear. got any ideas?? some of the possible issues ive found from searching are the computer is dirty,overheating,its a driver issue. so i have cleaned and blown out all dust, checked the fan which works fine, and uninstalled and reinstalled the mouse driver without any luck.

next issue is when i shutdown the computer or restart it. the dell screen( that gives u a couple of seconds to hit either F2 or F12) will come up then the screen goes blank and the computer beeps twice. and the dell screen comes up again and does the same thing goes black and beeps twice and repeats, this will go on for hours before it starts back up. i have found that if i hit the F12 key i can't remember what menu it takes me to but anyway open that menu for a minute or 2 and then hit exit the computer will boot just like it normally would.

any help would be appreciated i am using windows vista 32bit just in case that helps

Thanks

re: dell 1720 - program opens and closes itself automatically

The two beeps stands for "POST Error" are you getting any error code on the screen??
    if you are getting an error then there is something wrong with the graphic card, so just make sure that it is working fine.
    If you are not getting any error then there are possibilities that there is something wrong with the memory and in that case you can just try to switch the first and second banks memory chips and see if it is making any difference or not.
    Juts check out the above solutions and see if it is helping.

re: dell 1720 - program opens and closes itself automatically

actually it might be 3 beeps but i don't get a error screen or menu

Re: dell 1720 - program opens and closes itself automatically

It surely seems to a be an overheating problem. Can you download speedfan by searching it from google and check the temperatures on the laptop. Have you ever cleaned out the heatsink vent or cleaned the fan. How old is your laptop. I will get you the manual to show you how to get to the parts. You can get a laptop cooler like the Black USB Powered Laptop Cooler Notebook fan.

Re: dell 1720 - program opens and closes itself automatically

well ive blown out the the computer with compressed air and the fan does turn on it doesn't run constantly. it just turned 4years. i'd like to get a few more years out of it