Thread: How can i enter Rescue and Recovery in Lenovo Thinkpad SL400

How can i enter Rescue and Recovery in Lenovo Thinkpad SL400

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad SL400 bought 1 month ago. I have Windows Vista and Linux Canaima installed in it from the time I bought the thinkpad. Now the problem is that I unknowingly installed unsupported software in my Windows Vista and now just because of that I am facing certain issues. I can now see a blank blue screen whenever I login to the Windows Vista system and after that screen appears the system reboots automatically and this process continues in a loop.

I tried to boot Rescue and Recovery but it’s not allowing me to do so. Nor does it allow me to enter thought F11 and also it’s not allowing to get the backup which I already have in the hard disk. Please help me to get my laptop into the normal condition, just tell me how can I turn my laptop to Factory or my backup state?

Re: How can i enter Rescue and Recovery in Lenovo Thinkpad SL400

Let me tell you, the common issue with this SL series of Lenovo thinkpad is that whenever you try to partition the HDD or install Linux in it the ability of service partition gets corrupt or defects. In order to restore your system you need a recovery disc for that only if you have created the backup in advance.

If possible also try to fix the corrupt the boot sector using any of the methods you know.

As far as I know recovery disc is the only option for you to get rid of this issue. You can get the recovery disc from Lenovo for free; you just need to order it. But if you somehow try to boot up your vista and also backup your Vista product Key using a ABR method using the guide then definitely you can also clean install your thinkpad.

Clean install is a long process but if you want I can let you know the basic steps:
    • Back-up your data
    • Download the drivers
    • Install and activate Vista
    • Install the drivers

I had this same problem with my Ubuntu 9.10 but I somehow tried to fix the issue using a Windows Vista Boot CD. After doing so I changed the hidden partition and then my recovery was back. I normally use a fixed OS in the rescue and recovery.

Regarding the new partition for backup issue, if you do a factory reset from the ThinkVantage button then I guess the new partition won’t be deleted but yes if you use a recovery disc then there are chances for the new partition to get delete. I would suggest you to backup the backup partition for a safer side.

It’s too sad to know that the Lenovo developers are not informing and alerting the their customers regarding the drawbacks of installing the Linux in a duel boot situation, most of the people now came to know that it affects the restore capabilities in the system.

The issue with the Linux is that it mess up with the hidden partition which the developers or the manufacturers make for the recovery purpose.

Better I would suggest all the people to always burn a back up restore discs before you try installing Linux. By doing this at least you will be able to install Windows again even if you are forced to clean your drive and lose your Linux partition.