Thread: How to create Custom Ringtones for Windows phone 7

How to create Custom Ringtones for Windows phone 7

I have bought a new windows phone 7 which is a great phone from Microsoft and having great features like mobile office, Xbox LIVE, mobile application and many more. Now I want to create custom ringtones on my windows 7 phone and I know it is possible to create custom ringtones on computer and then to use it on windows phone but I don’t know how to do this. So if anyone knows how to create custom ringtones for windows phone 7 then please guide me.

Re: How to create Custom Ringtones for Windows phone 7

You can easily create custom ringtones for your windows phone 7, because Microsoft has recently announced that it is possible to create custom ringtones on your computer and for this you just need a Zune software on your PC and if you don’t have then you can install it. While creating custom ringtones you have to make sure that the audio file is:
    • It should be in MP3 or in WMA format.
    • It should be less than 40 seconds.
    • Less than 1 MB and
    • It should not be protected with DRM.

To create ringtone for your windows phone 7 on your computer using Zune software you have to follow the below steps:
    1. Open the Zune software on your PC and find the file you want to turn into a ringtone.
    2. Just right click on the file and then click edit .
    3. Now in the GENRE list select or type ringtone and then select OK.

If you have Zune software installed on your computer then you can create your own custom ringtones.
    • after creating your custom ringtones on your PC you have to have to connect your phone to computer using a data cable and then sync the file to your phone.
    • After this just select the app list >setting> ringtones > sounds.
    • Finally select the ringtone list and then find the new ringtone that you have added.

If you want to create custom ringtone for your windows phone 7 then you can do this by downloading and installing Audacity on your computer. It is the best application for creating custom ringtones for windows phone 7.
    1. Just open it on your computer and then select and drag whatever song you want to convert it into a ringtone from and drop it in the main grey area in Audacity.
    2. Just select the part of the song you want as a ringtone but make sure it is not longer than 39 seconds. After this edit, cut and paste the file as you want and then name your ringtone.
    3. Select the type as mp3 and select the quality.
    4. Finally in Genre enter ‘ringtone’ and select ok , and then using Zune software sync it to your phone.

I would also like to recommend you to download and install Audacity on your computer to create custom ringtones for your windows phone 7. It is a free open source software for recording and editing sounds. It is available for Mac OS X, Microsoft windows , GNU/LINUX and other OS. This will allow you to select the part of the file as you want to use it as a ringtone and also allows you to select the timeline for your ringtone.

I have the Audacity on my computer for creating custom ringtones for my windows phone but I have notice that few things about it, if you played the part of the file you selected to preview it and then select pause then it will not allow you to do anything. So you have to actually select stop to proceed further. And another note is that it kept getting error most of the time that it couldn’t find the mp3 Codec or whatever.