Thread: How to Downgrade BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.0

How to Downgrade BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.0

My BlackBerry PlayBook currently running with BlackBerry Tablet OS 2.0. I don’t like this OS and it is still much buggy as compared to OS 1.8. I want to downgrade it anyhow and I know that it is not difficult. But every time after the downgrade and when I first boot up it is telling me to reapply the upgrade. Without applying the upgrade the playbook does not continue to boot. Is there any way to downgrade it properly?

Re: How to Downgrade BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.0

Before downgrading the BlackBerry Tablet OS you need to perform a full backup so that your data cannot be lost. You can restore it later after downgrading. I hope that you already know how to downgrade the playbook. However one thing keep in mind that if have you signed up for the 2.0 beta and installed it on your playbook, you have to wait for at least one before you start the downgrade process. Otherwise it will keep on ask you to upgrade the device.

You have asked about the Backups. You can easily Backup the data from the playbook and you can restore it later to the device. One thing to ensure that Backups of a higher release are only compatible with same release and they cannot be restored onto a lower release.

If your BlackBerry PlayBook came with Blackberry OS 2.0 beta pre-installed, you can easily downgrade it any time.
    • First of all switch of your Playbook
    • Now open the BlackBerry Desktop Manager on your computer.
    • Connect device using USB.
    • It may ask for password, enter it
    • Now Desktop Manager may prompt you that it cannot connect to the device, at the time choose Update.
    • The device will boot up
    • Enter your email address.
    • Click Install now. That’s it

I hope that you have already followed the above steps. If so, BlackBerry PlayBook tablets now restord with the BlackBerry PlayBook OS (v1.0.7). After the completion of installation the device will ask for Setup Wizard. You need to go through this in order to setup the tablet again. Downgrade and upgrade process of Blackberry OS on Blackberry devices can be done only using BlackBerry Desktop Manager. No other software will allow you to do this and never try from any third party softwares.

You can easily downgrade and upgrade BB OS using the BlackBerry Desktop Manager. When you connect the Playbook to the computer and select update, it will show the updates available. I hope that there is already a previous version update file stores in the computer. To check it, simply go to C:\Users\* User Name*\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader Cache. Here you need to enable Hidden files in order to see system files.