Thread: How to sort audiobook mp3s in SanDisk Sansa clip

How to sort audiobook mp3s in SanDisk Sansa clip

I have been using SanDisk Sansa clip and I am having some audiobooks which are in the mp3 format, the problem that I am facing is that when I am copying them to a folder over to audiobooks then I am only able to get the first chapter and when I am copying the same to the music then they are not getting sorted as per their folder but then every individual mp3 is available, is there anyone who can help me with the sorting??

Re: How to sort audiobook mp3s in SanDisk Sansa clip

I have been using SanDisk Sansa clip and I am having some audiobooks which are in the mp3 format, the problem that I am facing is that when I am copying them to a folder over to audiobooks then I am only able to get the first chapter and when I am copying the same to the music then they are not getting sorted as per their folder but then every individual mp3 is available, is there anyone who can help me with the sorting??
    I just wanted to know that are you using Clip or a Clip+?, if you are having Clip+ then you can just go in to the folder which will be under the Music most probably under the Music list and after that just play your files/folders there. If that does not work for you than your files might be not having ID3 tags and you will have to get ID3 tagging software ID3 tagging software e.g. Internet freeware MP3Tag in order to provide them proper tag, just check out and see what possible solution you will have to try out.

I am not very sure if i am having a clip plus or just clip the device is just showing Sansa in the front where as SandDisk 4GB on the back, just to understand my issue in detail just have a look below:
    I want to have MP3s in a folder called 01_robin they are called: 01_ robinchapter1.mp2, 0!_ robinchatper2.mp3 etc.
    I may have a folder called jack and in 02_jack there are files named 02_jackchapter1.mp3, 02_jackchapter2.mp3.This should be followed for all the 66 books. Now on the Sandisk player when I am checking the folder markandjack then it is showing in the following order 01_robinchapter1.mp3, 02_jackchapter1.mp3, 01_robinchapter2.mp2, 02_jackchapter2.mp3, 01_robinchapter3.mp3, 02jackchapter3.mp3, so it is paying in the following manner robinchapter1.mp3, jackchapte1.mp3, robinchapter2.mp3, jackchapter2.mp3. I am willing to make an album called robin and that go in the same and then listen to all of the chapters and same for the jack, Hope that my condition is very clear to you know.

You have not yet answered clearly whether you are having a clip plus or just clip, anyways just wanted to know that you device is having a slot for a microSD card on the right side, if yes than you might be having Clip+ and if yes then you can just play the files like we play in the computer using the folder and the file names which is not possible to do it in original Clip, If you are having Clip+ then you can just follow the above solution of giving them the ID3 tags.

If you want then you can edit the id3 tags using the Windows Media Player 10/11 and in order to do so just follow the below steps:
    • Just open the Windows Media Player and after that just check for the file that is need to be edited under the Library
    • Once you get those files than just right click on the same and then select the Advanced Tag Editor. Option and then just enter the required details and then just click on apply and then ok.

You can do the same using the Windows Explorer, I mean that you just have to check out the location of the file and after that just select the file and then right click on the same and then check out the properties window and after that just click on the Summary tab and then on the Advanced >> button. After that just check out the details that needs to be edited under the Property and after that just click on the space option which will be under the value in order to edit the information and after making the changes just click on the apply and then click on ok and you are done.

I don’t think that there is actually a need to change the tags and all, in my case I had just check out the folders when the device was connected to the computer and after that I just selected them and I opened the properties and then adjusted title artist and album and then it worked out for me, I will suggest you to try out the same first and if this does not help then you can go for editing the tags.

I am having clip + and I am having same kind of problem, just for eg the files name in my case are 001-name.mp3, 002-name.mp3 and so on but then they are sorted in the below manner:
    010-name.mp3
    020-name.mp3
    030-name.mp3
    090-name.mp3
    100-name.mp3
    110-name.mp3
    ….
    What can be done to correct the sorting, any help for the same will be appreciated.

I don’t think that here is anything wrong I mean that the player is sorting in a numerical way, if you want then you can try out just adding the name of the book before the numbering and do that for each file and see if that is working, if that does not help then you can just try to add the same word at the front, just check out the same and see which of the solution is helping you out.

I think that it is just sorting the files according to the tag that it might be having, anyways can you just let me know how the tags looks like in your case?? Other than this I just wanted to say that rather than using the Windows Media Player and the windows explorer you can just try to use some other editing program like mp3Tag and then just provide all the files in the book the same album tag and also make sure that you are using track number tag in order to sort the files, I think that will be the best method.

I have checked out the same and I have found that the sorting is not actually based on the numerical way as 001 rather it is based on 3-rd digit which is in the first place and then on the first two digit accordingly but then I don’t know why the sorting is not being correct, I have also tried out the adding "part" in front as you have specified but then it was not making any difference. As far as the title tag value is concerned it is a file name and all the files are having the same album tag, the problem was that the track tags was set like "001/214", "002/214" and so on and it was being read as 214 by the player and now when I have changed the track tags to 001 and 002 it is getting sorted correctly.