Thread: Ubuntu Brightness control not working in Macbook Pro

Ubuntu Brightness control not working in Macbook Pro

Right now I am using the Macbook Pro on which the LCD brightness just doesn’t work at all. For that reason I have installed the mbp-nvidia-bl-dkms and pommed but it didn’t help me to control the LCD brightness. Is there any solution for this?

Re: Ubuntu Brightness control not working in Macbook Pro

Right now I am using the Macbook Pro 6,1 and I am not getting any kind of problem with the backlit since it is working fine with the mbp-nvidia-bl-dkms module with pommed.

First of all make sure that the module is running?

To check it, use this command- lsmod | grep bl. This command will reveal the kernel module.

As far as I know that the brightness controls can be made by using the pommed. I know that there is an actual brightness lag. It is also told that, some changes has been made to Ubuntu POMMED in recent times. So make sure you have installed the very latest version of POMMED - I believe its v1.35. Currently my Mabook contain following things installed: pommed, gpommed, wmpomme. All of them may be required.

After several hours of search I am able to find the mbp-nvidia-bl-dkms package but unfortunately it broke backlight control. Now I have only two brightness options: 100% or off. The pommed is working successfully and the mbp-nvidia-bl-dkms version is 0.24. This version didn’t help me to get the control backs. Somewhat I am able to find copy of the older module in my apt cache. Using it I have downgraded. After removing the 0.25 module only, the controls got me back.

For me also currently not able to change the LCD brightness on MacbookPro in which I have installed the Ubuntu 11.04. So I have to manually load the nvidia_bl module and after loading this I can get the LCD brightness meter but clicking anything does not actually change the brightness LCD.

The current mbp_nvidia_bl module only works with Apple machines but the nvidia_bl capable to work in any range including other vendors. Make sure that you are not running both drivers at the same time. If they are loading automatically, you have to disable them. The reason behind the problem is nvidia_bl disables auto-loading of mbp_nvidia_bl if installed.