Thread: Macbook Pro 13" compatible with SATA II HDDs

Macbook Pro 13" compatible with SATA II HDDs

Does anyone know whether Macbook Pro 13" support SATA II HDD or not? Right now it has Fujitsu 160GB SATA hdd but I need at least 500GB now and preferably SATA II. This is the system information:
    • NVidia MCP79 AHCI:
    • Product: MCP79 AHCI
    • Link Speed: 3 Gigabit
    • Negotiated Link Speed: 1.5 Gigabit
    • AHCI Version 1.20 Supported

So it seems to me that MBP has potential for 3GB link speed, i.e. SATA II but I don’t know why it is came with SATA. Is this device compatible with SATA II hard drives?

Re: Macbook Pro 13" compatible with SATA II HDDs

I take advantage of the post is not already opened to create an almost identical:
    I also want to change the hard drive of my Macbook Pro 13 "(late 2010). The present one is 250 GB at 5400rpm. I would like to switch to a 750 GB at 7200 rpm.

If you plan to actually move to a machine that will be equipped with SATA 3, it makes sense to take an SSD SATA 3. But again, even if the perfs of the three definitely better than the 2, do not take the lead too much either. Just avoid the problem set.

Replacing the drive, you can insert a second hard drive 2.5 inch SATA and offers opportunities that you never thought possible. You could for example create a Raid 1 (mirroring) for data is not lost if one disk fails, or a Raid 0 for enjoying both an incredible storage capacity and performance with advanced intensive applications: video editing, audio pro, etc..

SATA 2 is 100% backwards compatible with SATA. Meanwhile, almost always get to no more SATA stuff, or not, the money saved would pay real in my opinion. Samsung builds quietly and relatively inexpensive HDDs. Technically, they belong to some power of the best.

I have to say that there is an update very complex, although it may seem, simply remove and put screws in principle anyone with minimal computer skills could do it. You can go there , all HDD are backward compatible in terms of link speed.

Then the only story you have to watch that the SATA speeds in the latest MacBook Pros have a SATA III affiliation, and some is also SATA SuperDrive III. The speed of SATA II is so high that you will notice little difference every day. Therefore, I would still choose the SSD in the Optibay doing. I have myself in my 13 "Macbook Pro and it works great.

Mac Pro can accommodate up to four Serial ATA 3Gb / s SSDs or for a maximum storage capacity of 8 TB Thanks to the direct wireless connection, hard drives can be connected and disconnected in a flash. To install a drive, just connect it to a box, and then turn it on in it, no cables or connectors to handle. The removal of the disc is just as easy. Every Mac Pro comes with four boxes. This is ideal if you need to use disks on different workstations at home or in the studio.

I think that SATA II HDDs are compatible with Macbook pro and it can be reversible so that you can use SATA HDDs also. However the size of the hard disk does matters here as you are using the 13inch Macbook pro. The currently available SATA II HDDs may not be compatible to this. But there is a good news for you. The apple reported that they have provided SATA II in MBP to install SSDs. So if you are looking for SSD upgrade rather than HDD, then i think better go for it right now.