Thread: USB transfer rate much slower in desktop compare to Acer laptop

USB transfer rate much slower in desktop compare to Acer laptop

I own a customized desktop pc whose configuration is as mentioned below:-

Cpu - i7-940
    Motherboard – intel dx58so
    RAM – 8gb
    Graphic card – nvidia gts250
    OS – windows 7

Now the purpose of showing my customized pc configuration to you people is just to make you believe that I have got the best configuration to make things work on this computer efficiently and smoothly. But even after having such good hardware with windows 7 installed in it my USB is unable to transfer data at normal speed. Its transfers really very slow. When connected the same external device to my Aspire laptop the data transfer rate is at its best in it. After testing the external device on my laptop I am sure that there is some problem with my pc and not with the external device. Anyone who can make out what could be problem and the solution?

Re: USB transfer rate much slower in desktop compare to Acer laptop

Have you ever tried enabling the better performance option in your desktop pc? Maybe because of that your transfer rate is taking off slowly and ending the same. And also maybe this option is enabled in your laptop that’s why the transfer rate is differing both in laptop and pc. Try enabling the option and let me know the result.

Even I have an Acer Aspire laptop from last 2 years. And also I am facing the same problem but not with the desktop. It’s my laptop in which the USB data transfer rate is too slow.
    This problem started occurring in my laptop from past 2 months. It didn’t suddenly happen, initially the speed was above 2.2 mbps but later on it came down to 1.5 mbps within 2 months. It is better that you had at least an option to test your USB on other machine and make it out where exactly the problem lies. I am not that lucky. But even I had an option that is sending my laptop to the service center. As my laptop warranty is still active.

I already tried the option of enabling better performance, but the results are the same, no exactly the same but the transfer speed fluctuates. Just after enabling the data is transferred really fast at high speed then slowly slowly the speed comes down and to 1.2 mbps to 1.6 mbps and sometimes even it freezes up or stops. I need to know whether there is any software present online or in the market that could most probably increase my speed.

With respects to software to improve your USB transfer rate in your computer I would suggest you to try TeraCopy, it is highly efficient and fully recommended; it’s a windows Copy Replacement. It offers a high speed and security as compare to windows. TeraCopy is a compact tool that has the ability to copy or move a single or even a set of files together to any directory with sufficient speed and quickly. More over it can also automatically calculate CRC (Cyclic Redundancy Check). The most important and interesting thing is it can skip corrupted, unwanted or bad file and shows them at the end when the whole coping process is over, they are shown just to make sure that they are actually the unwanted ones.

According to me I don’t think there is any problem in your customized pc or external device or laptop. Your USB data transfer rate is slow, maybe just because your Pc doesn’t have that capability of transferring data at higher speed. I mean to say that, your laptop configuration must be much higher and bigger than your customized pc. Because of this reason the USB transfer rate is differing between your pc and laptop.

Using TeraCopy software doesn’t makes any difference in the transferring performance. The speed still remains constant to its 1.2 to 1.6 mbps. TeraCopy is not a good option.
    And also I would like to say that my pc’s configuration is much higher than my laptop. The processor, RAM, hard-disk and motherboard of my desktop are much better and higher than the ones present in my laptop. The only thing which is same in both of them is the OS; windows 7 installed. And if you doubt my pc’s configuration then you can read it in the earlier posts where I mention about my computer.

If nothing works, just try out my trick. It’s very simple, run check Disk on your computer by right clicking the command prompt.
    You can get the command prompt option from: Start > Accessories > Command Prompt.
    Then select Run as Administrator then in command prompt box type “chkdsk”. After doing this everything is fixed then run System File Checker Scan. And if nothing works I would only suggest you to install Malwarebytes and check for viruses or malwares. There may be possibility that due to viruses the data being transferred is widely impacted.

Do one thing next time whenever you go on to copy a file or transfer a data or if you are about to do any job processing set up a resource monitor before doing that. If you are unaware about this thing no issues I would guide you.
    Do as I say:
    click Task Manager > Performance Tab (at top) > Resource Monitor (tile at bottom) > then click disk tab (top). And then slide the disk I/O mini-window border either up or down to get a preferable sized window. After that try to copy or transfer any file or data of an average size that should take at least some few minutes. Now check out your Resource Manager and note down the millisecond feedback and also the byte count that shows the read and write readings. From this we can come to know how huge and vast the data transfer is taking place and specified time. Try it out.

I followed everything as you said; I took an avi file of 150 mb that took at around 5-6 minutes to get copied. And I also noted down the reading. At the initial time the reading were exactly like this:

Read (B/sec) - 1,152
    Write (B/sec) - 1,323,008
    Total (B/sec) - 1,324,160
    I/O Priority is normal
    Response Time is 42

And at the end I got a negative feedback by the reading, the number was:

Read (B/sec) - 0
    Write (B/sec) - 1,525,988
    Total (B/sec) - 1,525,988
    I/O Priority is normal
    Response Time is 43

I can just make it out that my transfer rate during the initial time is very good but it never remains constant and comes down drastically. Whereas I know that usb 2.0 performance is not so degraded. Anyways what’s next I can do to repair this problem?

By checking out your data transfer readings I can make out that you were trying to transfer a hard disk file to the USB drive. But the performance which you mentioned above seems like you are using usb 1.0, are you sure you are using USB 2.0 port? It could be your hard drive performance slowing the speed down. Run the resource manager again and then note down both hard drive and USB performance state.