Thread: IP Phone 7921G getting disconnected while roaming

IP Phone 7921G getting disconnected while roaming

Now we have been facing problems with our IP Phones 7921G while roaming. We recently bought this IP Phones with all FW latest version release 1.4.1 and with the software version 7.0.98 with around 80 Laps. All placed within the same network with 3x WLC4402 and 1x WLC5508. We are new to this IP Phone world and have no idea about it as we have bought it recently. Can anyone tell me what could be the problem?

Re: IP Phone 7921G getting disconnected while roaming

If you have bought your IP Phone recently then definitely you will not be aware of the reason behind your problem. First of all you people are not the only one to face this problem; there are most of the people standing with this report. And the reason is simple. When you roam with you IP Phone you are moved from one APs to another APs on the same controller, in short you move from one network to another network. This sometime makes your connection weak or even can disconnect your connection.

Yes right, the same problem use to happen with me earlier but when I concerned a technician they explained me my issue. If we go technical wise my problem occurred when I moved from old static WLAN based on WEP security to the new based on EAP-FAST with the local authentication WPA/WPA2. Due to this, the Access Point controller use to get disconnected automatically and displays me an error message on my text “Connection Failed”.

In simple language, your roaming is failing. For this I would suggest you to implement CCKM (Cisco Centralized Key Management) which is a form of Fast Roaming, it helps you to reconnect the connection in a faster mode. It will also help you to reduce RADIUS server load and make your roaming connection quick and fast.

Better you move on to 7.0.116.0 or later instead of using your present 7.0.98 software version. And if finding more issues regarding the roaming in your 7921G model then I would strongly suggest you to go on for testing the latest ES 1.4.1.1.1.7. The official release 1.4(2) will definitely have interband roaming support. Other solution would be try to modify your WLAN settings and then disable WPA2 with AES but not WPA with TKIP and don’t forget to keep the CCKM enabled. Hope it works and sort out your problem.

All above suggestion are preferable. But the Simple and best way is; go and check out the 7921G Deployment Guide for the complete information. Maybe it contains the appropriate solution for your problem. If not then probably there might be chances of getting the solution for your problem in you TAC case. So suggestion for opening the TAC case and find out the proper remedy. I find most of my solutions from the TAC case, so I think it will also help you out.

Since 7.0.98.0 version is not creating any problem we would prefer to stay with it until it becomes the reason for any problem or bugs or else the official people advice us to switch it. But I would definitely try to modify the WLAN setting and disable WPA2 with AES and so on. It’s because I found most of the people suggest me the same solution so I guess it could be the appropriate one for us.