Thread: Mac OS X Snow Leopard vs. Lion

Mac OS X Snow Leopard vs. Lion

I know that there are many threads like this on web but I want to have replies from the people over here. Currently I am having the snow leopard and one of the most disappointing thing about this is that I cannot update many of the applications on this. I am thinking to upgrade this to Lion but before that, I want to know pros and cons of that. Please post the difference between those. Thank you so much in advance for reading and replying to this.

Re: Mac OS X Snow Leopard vs. Lion

The arrival of Mac OS X Lion has brought to market numerous usability improvements and new features. However, the overall system performance and applications is depends on the predecessor. Many users still do not update because they think they will have a noticeable performance drop, however, performance is similar, although it is slightly lower with Snow Leopard but this difference is very small. While in a normal use these differences are not noticeable, but they exist.

I have done some testing with this and I am posting the result of this.

Adobe Photoshop CS3 image-processing test
    • Mac OS X Snow Leopard: 63
    • Mac OS X Lion: 66

Adobe Photoshop CS5 image-processing test
    • Mac OS X Snow Leopard: 236
    • Mac OS X Lion: 251

Apple iTunes encoding test
    • Mac OS X Snow Leopard: 86
    • Mac OS X Lion: 74

Multimedia multitasking
    • Mac OS X Snow Leopard: 121
    • Mac OS X Lion: 120

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare Timedemo
    • Mac OS X Snow Leopard: 56
    • Mac OS X Lion: 58

Thank you CassandraD for posting the result. As you can see the differences are small, except for iTunes. This application has been updated by Apple to take advantage of new features with native 64-bit optimizations Lion. Other applications have not been updated yet. Changes in performance are minimal Lion and multiple functionality advantages are also recommended to next upgrade.

Mac OS X Snow Leopard was developed to ensure the best possible performance, Lion is the first step of the seamless integration between the two operating systems Apple OS X and iPhone OS. By adding many features then have made some refurbished and interfaces and this is according to various rumors circulating on the net for some time. It is reasonable to think that the quickness and lightness that we were all used with Snow Leopard is at risk. Well tests performed seems to contradict everything.

The results seem to refute all those who recommended to increase the performance of Mac before upgrading to Lion by increasing the RAM of a few GB, especially if we consider that this is only the first release of the operating system and future upgrades may further improve performance.

The power of Mac OS X combined with the magic of iPad. So this Apple Mac OS X Lion is made which is the expected successor of Snow Leopard. It became a tradition. With each new version, a new default wallpaper. Again there is no exception to this rule with a beautiful view of snow-capped peak. Do you like browse the icons on your iPhone / iPod / iPad? It is having different way to view the applications present in your Applications folder. This is of fun but not very useful in my opinion. With a simple movement of your fingers, you could switch from one application to another, moving from one office to another or display an overview of the applications running on the desktop today.

As lion is the next update to the Mac OS X Snow Leopard then this is for sure that it will be having major improvement to that. So dont just think much. Update that to lion and I am sure that you will feel the improvement.

Mac OS X Lion, just to do better, can now display the same screen on an overview of the office and all applications running. Mission Control, it is rather simple and efficient! The Finder's default look is also changing. It offers a default for all files, sorted by document type. There is also present the sidebar of favorites is a new feature that will allow all users to exchange Lion files easily for the paranoid like me, Apple said on its website that the function is active only when the Finder window is open.

Apple has also added an autosave feature of the documents you are working. I have not had time to check this feature, called Auto Save, works with other applications than those supplied with Leo. This thread is missing the fact that applications such as iPhoto or Preview can now be displayed in full screen, the scroll bars appear only when trying to scroll or we can finally resize windows from any end.

I am having the Mac OS X Snow Leopard and that is running great for me. I have read many of the post about issues with the OS x Lion and so I am not going to upgrade to that unless all the issues and bugs are getting resolved. Anyways is leopard ir working good then I dont need to upgrade that.

Both are the best at their places but as the Snow Leopard is the latest one so this is obvious that you are going to get improved performance as compared to the Lion but if you are happy with the Lion then I dont think that there is any requirement to change to Snow Leopard.