Thread: Does sony Hi8 camcorder supports video 8 format ?

Does sony Hi8 camcorder supports video 8 format ?

Hi, i am having this above mentioned camcorder and having some doubts regarding the same as is it possible to playback tapes recorded on a Video 8 camcorder with the stereo sound on a Hi8 camcorder? When i was buying it i have just read this feature but there isn’t any conformance regarding the same. anybody having idea concerning this could share their views.

Re: Does sony Hi8 camcorder supports video 8 format ?

- this is something weird question but still as far as i know the camcorder that you are having must have been supporting this format because the video format that you have mentioned is quite older and this camcorder is well enough to play such format videos.

This is something weird question but still as far as i know the camcorder that you are having must have been supporting this format because the video format that you have mentioned is quite older and this camcorder is well enough to play such format videos.
    Off course I do have the same opinion as the above user, in fact in other words i would say Hi8 is backward compatible with Video 8. Essentially I believe as the video is always similar but Hi8 had the added enhancement of digital PCM audio and along with that hold on to the capability to record and play analogue stereo sound on Video 8 tapes.

Hey thanks for the suggestion but still I haven’t ever found any such article or any such specification regarding the same and this is the only thing which is making me confused.

Hey thanks for the suggestion but still I haven’t ever found any such article or any such specification regarding the same and this is the only thing which is making me confused.
    You must be right as this are the things that generally doesn’t seems to be specified everywhere. But as far as your conformance is concerned I have had a Sony Hi-8 Handycam working flawlessly fine for more than few years until I used a cassette video 8.

At present i am having a Sony DCR-HC96 (DV-mini-cassettes) and it provides me a extremely superior quality picture on video along with the still pictures as well but the pictures are sharp if not improved with those taken by a point and shoot camera.

Hi, i am having this above mentioned camcorder and having some doubts regarding the same as is it possible to playback tapes recorded on a Video 8 camcorder with the stereo sound on a Hi8 camcorder? When i was buying it i have just read this feature but there isn’t any conformance regarding the same. anybody having idea concerning this could share their views.
    I would like to let you clear yourself clear with this thing as A 8mm camcorder won't play Hi8 but a Hi8 camcorder will play 8mm and Hi8. As far as I know, all hi-8mm cameras are backwards compatible with 8mm video.

I have heard that iMovie appears to have had dilemma with AVCHD but there are a number of good workarounds as far as I know. And while we concern the Software or we can say programs are obtainable allowing you to retain the original resolution in iMovie if you have problem with it. In fact I have also seen as there are many people who don't ever trouble their self, as excellence is still tremendously high even at half the resolution. Others don't desire to mislay the full HD capture of their camera. Thus when i spoken to users having mac who are archiving their HD footage and working with slightly-less-HD in the meantime, and from them the only thing that I came to know is like this is all depends upon the software rather firmware that we used to install in the camcorder.

I am also bit confused with the same because see I've got a Hi-8 camera and I have also converted the tapes from it to DVD, and i have noticed as most of the tapes only playback static and the most worst with noise but at the same time some tapes work just fine.