Thread: does Sony Vaio Z VGN-591U support 8GB RAM

does Sony Vaio Z VGN-591U support 8GB RAM

i recently purchased the Sony Vaio Z VGN-591U laptop. i was just irritated by having a dual boot of bios R2169M3 and bought a VMWare Workstation license to have a accommodation of personal and work need. in this case 4GB works fine for me, but I suppose I would get more speed by increasing memory capacity. further, I this laptop is of 4GB RAM. I wish to to have an up gradation of it to 8GB RAM. I require to know if anyone has done it earlier successfully .

Re: does Sony Vaio Z VGN-591U support 8GB RAM

according to my knowledge the laptop with which you are concerning about does not officially support 8GB RAM...but I suppose someone made it to work. i think you should have a try for it.

i can get ti your solution. things i may concern are that there is a VM enabling firmware for the BIOS, which you mentioned here, and there is a possibility of availability R2170M3 and R2171M3 versions . there is no hardware differences between the 1st and 5th gen older Zs, but there are just some simple config changes (eg SSDs, optics RAM, GOBI card etc). and i would say further that with the newer firmware you should be able to work fine with an 8GB RAM upgrade . but i cant fully confirm and I'm trying to find out whether there is a capability of my 2nd gen Z to run a 8GB RAM mod too.

according to my supposition , there is a problem with your new RAM. as per me, all previews Zs that come with 8GB of RAM from the store have 2x MICRON 4GB cards , but i cant make the confirmation for this. 4GB RAM and lower and your older Z comes with Elpida RAM sticks. MICRON RAMs used chips consumes less power supply , and the machine won't boot, in this case where you stick on the Z and any other RAM with chips consuming more power supply.

if it would work in my case, it will be well and good. i was thinking of increasing my RAM and this suggestion would prove me beneficial. i wanted to increase my systems speed and also wanted some good power supply options. thanks for your reply.

in my case, I've seen some 2010 versions of 4GB Samsung SODIMM DDR3 RAM which are sold as bulk. i don't know teh exact price for the MICRON RAMs that have been confirmed working on the older Z . I'm expecting low-power consumption for the new 2010 SAMSUNG RAM and it would have the low power supply chip and would buy them now once I have confirmation my Z is 8GB capable. Basically I too would wish to know whether any previous Z owners got 8GB RAM working on their machines so as to make a strong confirmation.

i would suppose, it perfectly works with my Z820. i got it sure from some sites about its supporting and it would work in your case. and to state further, you are able to make an up gradation to 8GB possible as long as you don't flash your BIOS to R30.

it was not a good idea but it works in my case, as i was able to flash R4043M3 to my VGN-Z590 with the advance menu. it was possible for me to do when I disabled DRAM Timing . I was able to boot with 8GB RAM but Win 7 64bit but there is recognition of 6GB only . if you have any other ideas about the other BIOS settings to change please reply .

there were similar issues on my side and it works fine in my case when shifted 8gb ram into my new vpc-z . ot was in my z5xx by means of two crucial DDR3 4GB sodimms and it was working just fine across various different bios versions

thank you for your rely. I now have all information which i requires to take the plunge (or not). I was making a suspection over some virtualization, that any RAM size limitations would be something correlating to the BIOS version you're making use in your system . I suppose that my Z is 1st gen. thank you as well for the Interesting info that you have on the power consumption .

I can confirm that the VGN-Z590 supports 8GB of ram. I have upgraded mine to 8GB 3 years ago and it is still running strong

For best results I suggest that you buy a two identical 4gb sodimms.