Thread: iPhone 4s is not able to connect to wep WiFi

iPhone 4s is not able to connect to wep WiFi

I have recently bought a iPhone 4s from AT&T and I am not using any data service as I use the wifi to places where I go and I don’t have any problem in finding them as well and it is easily available here at my place. Other than this I am also having a WEP WiFi setup as my home network but then I am not able to connect to the same. Is there anyone who has an idea about it and can help me out with the same, any help regarding the same will be appreciated.

Re: iPhone 4s is not able to connect to wep WiFi

I have recently bought a iPhone 4s from AT&T and I am not using any data service as I use the wifi to places where I go and I don’t have any problem in finding them as well and it is easily available here at my place. Other than this I am also having a WEP WiFi setup as my home network but then I am not able to connect to the same. Is there anyone who has an idea about it and can help me out with the same, any help regarding the same will be appreciated.
    Just explain you problem in detail I mean where exactly you are facing the problem, I mean at what stage? Are you getting any error message while connecting to the WEP WiFi setup? Just answer with the same so we could get a better idea about the problem that you are facing any help you further to fix it out as well.

I am having the following problem:
    • First of all the phone is not able to see the network.
    • The phone is also requesting for password but then I am very sure that there is no password for the setup that I am having and it is just a pass key.
    • Later I have also tried entering the pass key as well but then it gives me an "incorrect password" error. I have also tried out the same by enabling and disabling the auto-caps as well but then I don’t think that it is making any difference at all and I am still left with the same. Any further help will be appreciated.

In that case you can try out using Dollar ($) sign as a prefix and see if it is making any difference, just check it out and see if it is helping or not. I personally don’t prefer WEP WiFi because it is really not secure and can be cracked within minutes, if possible better switch to WPA security, it is really far better than the WEP one but then first try out the above trick and then let me know what you get.Best of luck.

Hey I have tried out the same but then I am getting the same error message again and again and I really don’t think that it is making any difference in my case, The other thing that I wanted to share is that when I a clicking on the network with the blue arrow then I am not even getting any messages saying "forget this network" or something like that which is a basic feature and it has to be there but it’s not. The other problem is that I am not getting ant option in order to change the WEP password from WEP hex or ASCII. Any further help for the same will be highly appreciated.

I was having the same problem previously but then I was able to solve the problem after trying out a workaround, If you want then just try iut the same. What all you have to do is to enter the WEP key rather than entering the password that is used by the pc or the laptop, it will be a 26 character Hex key just enter the same and then you will be able to connect to the wep wifi without any problem. Just try it out and then let me know if you were able to solve the issue or not.

You can try out the other way as well, just follow the below steps:
    • Try to get a new passkey which we normally generate by inputting some text and all and after that the router will concert the same in to hex and then you will be having 4 codes just for eg a,b,c,d so just select one of them and then click on apply and the you will get the passkey set.
    • Now go in to the wireless settings on your pc and then input the passkey and below the “pass key entry” option there will be a option called 'Key Index so you will have to set it as well to the one that you have used, I mean that if you have used “a” then set it to “a” just try it out and then let me know what you get. I think that this will probably solve the issue.

I have tried the same solution before and it has worked out for me but then I just wanted to share that it will work for the first time and when you will enter the pass key next time then it will say “incorrect password” again. I had faced the same but then I was able to find out the cause of it and it was just that the iphone's 'Key Index' is permanently set to and in order to solve this, just follow the below steps:
    • First just go in to the router settings and after that just generate passkeys and then choose the option one.
    • After that go in to the wireless settings and then enter the passkey and then Key Index' to 1.
    • After that you will not get the “incorrect password” again for your iphone.
    • Just try it out and then let me know what you get.

I have tried out the solution you all have specified here but the I am still getting the same message and I don’t think that your solution is making any difference, I have also tried resetting the router and also resetting the network settings of my phone but then I have not yet got any success. I don’t know how come it is not working with my home network as I am able to use it at my friend’s place and I am not having any problem to connect to the wifi at his place. Is there any other solution that I can try out? I really need an effective solution to solve out the issue please help!!

I will suggest you to enter the encrypted key on the back of the router just check it out it will be a 10 digit number and will be enclosed in brackets as well. Tyr to use the same and see if it is making any difference, I have not tried out the same myself as I am not having a wep wifi setup but then I have found the same in a forum where one guy had the same problem and entering the encrypted key on the back of the router had solved the issue. Just check it out if you are having the same case. Best of luck

Even I was having the same problem before but then I had managed to solve it out, this is what I had done:
    • When I got the “incorrect password” message then i entered the modem address and then I again got the same message.
    • After that I entered the passkey again and then the problem was solved and I was able to access the wifi without any problem.
    • I don’t know how the solution works but then I have found the same while I was trying to get rid of this issue. I am not that sure if it will work for you as well but then I think that you can at least give it a try.

Hey thanks for that solution, after trying out a no of solution I have finally solved it out and now my phone is able to connect to the wep wifi that I am having at my home, I really don’t understand the logic behind entering the modem address and after that entering the passkey. I was really surprised to get it work but then I am really happy that I have solved it out finally, Thanks to you once again, I really appreciate your help.