Thread: Blackberry Bold 9790 features UMA calling

Blackberry Bold 9790 features UMA calling

By now, I was using the Nokia phones and that never created any issue for me. But this time I want to switch to the Blackberry. I was searching for the blackberry phone and found the Blackberry Bold 9790 which interests me. It was mentioned that this phone also has UMA calling. So can you tell me that what is the UMA calling feature and how this works. Please reply me soon as I need to get the phone in next 2-3 days. Thank you so much in advance for replying to this.

Re: Blackberry Bold 9790 features UMA calling

I would like to tell you that the UMA is not available on the OS7 device. For those devices, UMA is replaced by the Wifi Calling. If you want to get that then that will be only available on the OS7.1.

Yes, the BlackBerry Bold 9790 comes with WIFI (UMA compatible according to the operator) through which you will be able to make calls. This phone is really a good one and you can get this phone without any doubt in your mind. I am also using the same phone and so I am recommending you the same. I hope that this will be helpful to you.

I don't know about the Blackberry Bold 9790 but the 8900 supports Wi-Fi with UMA technology, however this service must provide your local operator. You can not enjoy the service unless your operator is able to provide it. Whenever you are having the WiFi network available then you can make use of the UMA, provided your phone supports UMA and with help of that, you will be able to make calls through your wireless Internet at prices much low. This is also known as VoIP - Voice over IP. The network change is instantaneous. This also benefits operators because users do not saturate connected to WiFi mobile cells and they can increase their coverage without having to install new antennas.

There is one more possibility that the operator might monitor your calls and then they might charge you for that. This part is what really seems to me untenable.

UMA stands for Unlicensed Mobile Access. It's another example of so called VoIP (Voice over IP [Internet Protocol]), as known to all calls that are made from a computer, but in this case it is made from the mobile phone. In addition to calls, the user will access to all services on your device that require broadband connection, such as data download, email and more. Like a computer, users can make phone calls over the Internet (known as voice over IP or IP communications), the UMA (Unlicensed Mobile Access) transfers the concept to mobile phones and allows users to connect to a broadband wireless network and make calls via the Web.

The mobile phone equipped with this technology automatically connects to the Internet wirelessly through technologies like Bluetooth and WiFi regulated. The user has to enter the settings of the WLAN, then the UMA phone will connect to the Internet through a WLAN (wireless network). After and using IP (Internet Protocol), it will connect to what is called UNC (UMA controller). For this, you will require a mobile device with UMA, an operator that supports the technology and a connection to broadband Internet accessible from a WLAN.

Here, I am listing some of the main benefits of UMA calling

• Provides voice and data GSM / GPRS via a broadband connection available.
    • Excellent indoor network coverage and faster data services through broadband access.
    • Transition flawlessly by GSM and WLAN networks.

UMA can not only be used indoors with a WLAN (wireless) home or office but also through a public access point as those in hotels, restaurants, airports, train stations and in certain areas some cities.

If you wish to stick with Nokia only then I want to tell you that Nokia introduced its first UMA network solution and 6136 which is a mobile that support this technology. The phone automatically selects the optimal network, GSM or WLAN. I am a big fan of Nokia and I am going to get this phone and want to recommend you the same

You can visit the Blackberry official site to get the full specification of the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by HamsiniI View Post
    You can visit the Blackberry official site to get the full specification of the phone.
    Thank you so much for the link that you have provided. It was really helpful for me.