Thread: How to setup wifi on Lenovo s10-3t using Broadcom BCM4313

How to setup wifi on Lenovo s10-3t using Broadcom BCM4313

I want to install Ubuntu on Lenovo s10-3t. But I found that after installing the same I am not able to use wifi. I had installed Ubuntu on Dual boot mode. But still the same is not working out. How to fix this out. I tired updating all repositories.

Re: How to setup wifi on Lenovo s10-3t using Broadcom BCM4313

You had not got the proper setup. Ubuntu on your mentioned laptop works well, all you need is appropriate driver update for the Broadcom BCM4313 chip. This is the default modem chip inside your laptop and this needs the update or else the wifi will not work. You can search on the official website for drivers for linux. Anyhow saving your time I found the official website which can provide you linux drivers. Go on the below link and download the compressed file. It has a 32 bit and 64 bit version with readme file which will guide you for the installation process.

802.11 Linux STA driver

Might be running updates will fix the issue. The reason is that some of the Ubuntu distro has this drivers already present in their system. So just give a try back and or else you can check for more recent update. Check your package manger. You Will need to get a proper package to run the wifi. Basically in Ubuntu by default everything works. Check the wifi settings and if possible try to find out that all hardware's are working in the system. Go in software updater and find the package for the same. There are other more solution which can help you out. You can find the same on official ubuntu site.

Before updating a new driver remember that you will need to wipe out the old one. Ubuntu has some old drivers for wifi. Check that if you are not having any existing drivers in the system. Remove it and run a new one.

I think the driver is not activated and because of which you getting issue. I will recommend you check in the hardware drivers. You have to go in Systems and then look in Administration. Then choose the Broadcom STA wireless driver. Choose to activate the same. If the driver is not shown in the list then you will need to re-install it back again. You can do that from Package manager. Run package manger which is System > Administration. You can click on reload till the time you can see new updates. Now run the terminal and type the following common " sudo apt-get update " & " sudo apt-get --reinstall install bcmwl-kernel-source ". Restart your machine and then check back again. You can again check in Hardware Drivers that the driver is appeared or not.

There is a entire guide here which can help you to configure wifi on Ubuntu. You can check the guide here to get a appropriate information on the setup. Read the same and run the commands.

How to setup wifi on Ubuntu

The issue is occurring in your system because you had not found proprietary drivers. You have to found the drivers from official site and many time the update manager does the work. Download the driver from official site. The driver setup manually is a bit complicated process. You have to run the driver setup via terminal to make it work. Basically I will recommend you to do the same from update manager only. That will be quiet helpful.