Thread: A/C Power Cord Connection is loose in Dell XPS l702x

A/C Power Cord Connection is loose in Dell XPS l702x

Recently brought Dell XPS l702x, It is losing A/C cord connection frquently . Battery charging working absolutely fine. I move the laptop. Is this normal? Anyone have any suggestion on how to fix the trouble without replacing the jack?

Re: A/C Power Cord Connection is loose in Dell XPS l702x

I am also having this problem. I returned and got new one .It is rather annoying since I would luke to run it off ac without battery at times, Nevertheless if i have to bump the connector out. Anyone have any solution for this

You are absolutely not unaccompanied. Mine is one week old and I’m also facing this trouble. It seems to be down to the make use of an extremely large straight connector rather than the conventional L shaped alternative used by various laptop brands. This seems to have the consequence of allowing the weight of the cable to work itself loose more with no trouble. As the cable sticks out of the laptop a good 2 or more inches just to make up the connector.

It is rather maddening as it means my laptop changes the running profile and depending on the use. It can be going from lowest brightness to max instantaneously which is not fun when its late at night.

Same trouble i am also facing. My XPS M1710 cable was tight for a while, I also obtain the odd AC adaptor warning when starting my Laptop.anybody facing this kind of trouble

I was facing this problem from day one of purchase. it was loose on my both new build systems . Just a bad design with poor Quality control. need to report this issue to dell

Well I prepared to phone up and criticize about it. If this is awful from week one. I am anxious what it will be like after 1 year. My previous Asus was loose like this after 3 years of hard work so I'd believe the Dell will be falling apart after 3 years if this is to be used as the benchmark.

I have an XPS 15 L502X, and undergo from the similar annoyance with the loose cord. Don't know if this is supposed to be usual, else I should contact Dell people and tell them about it.

I just spoke to dell customer team and they told me no one has reported this type of trouble. I informed them via twitter and there phone service is too bad.

The people manning Twitter are far more approachable than the call center, although lodging a complaint with both will at least let the engineers know about the trouble.

I had the same difficulty and had a tech effort to repair it. After 2 new adapters, they sent out a new motherboard with the AC input riser and it was still loose. lastly sent me a new replacement XPS17 and all is good. Dell has the best tech support. The best part is the fact that I did not have to protest.

I have this same maddening trouble so I built a desktop application to caution me when the plug gets disconnected.Glad to put my programming skills some use.

The replacement laptop that Dell sent me in an attempt to overcome the power cord issue has basically an unusable mouse; I will attempt this driver tonight to observe if it solve the difficulty.

Re: A/C Power Cord Connection FIX!

This is also posted on the notebookreview forum site. If yours is loose, here is a quick fix with just a few simple tools, for me I used a couple of Dental Picks and they were the perfect tools. This simple fix will not alter your system in any shape, way or form:

I took the connector out (much easier to work with as it is being rotated), but you can do it just right off the back.

I use the picks to move the four little 'tabs' from inside of the female plug chamber, I softly picked and plied all four tabs towards the center pin evenly so that when the male plug goes in, it will 'clasp' the plug to stay put. So far, it is tighter than stock, at least it is 65% tighter and better now!
    The good thing is, I haven't lost a connection after this fix.

Caution:
    Repair at Your Own Risk.
    Before inserting any 'metal' object into the DC Connecter or any other parts of the computer that is soldered to the motherboard, always remove the battery and unplug the AC cord from the wall.
    Attached Images Attached Images