Thread: Slower data transfer rate with USB 3.0 external hard drive and dell XPS 15

Slower data transfer rate with USB 3.0 external hard drive and dell XPS 15

Hi, i have gotten my first dell XPS 15 machine and along with that i have purchased a newer external HDD as well which has a 3.0 ports in but still the thing is like i am not able to get the expected speed while transferring the data. when i was transferring the music files i was getting 30 MB/s at the highest which should be more than that. But still the worst thing is like with normal USB 2.0 we can get speed around 25 MB/s so what newer with 3.0. anyways please let me know what could be the problem over here, so that i can have better idea about it.

Re: Slower data transfer rate with USB 3.0 external hard drive and dell XPS 15

I am not sure whether the laptop that you have gotten has USB 3.0 or not, because see i have heard that though we a good hard driver which has USB 3.0 but you must have to have the same versions USB port on the machine as well in order to get the faster data transfer.

Have you tried ever with any other hard drive? Because it might be possible like there could be some problem with the hard drive that you are using. In fact, you can have another option as well like you should try to make use of the same hard drive with another machine having USB 3.0 so that you can have idea about the exact defect.

Exactly i am also not that aware whether the XPS 15 has USB 3.0 or not, but there could be some problem with the dissimilar USB ports. I mean to say as mentioned by the above user if the laptop and your hard drive is having different versions port then also you’ll get slower speed. And when i was getting the same problem at that time i just bought a usb 3.0 controller which I connected to one of those mini PCI slots on my motherboard which gave me 2 usb 3.0 ports and by means of that i used to connect my hard drive with the laptop and used to get speed up to 40 to 45 mb/s.

Thus see if your laptop don’t have any such USB 3.0 ports than you can make use of such controllers as well.

See i don’t know what could be the problem but still i would like to recommend you that you should try to update the firmware of your external HDD and then see whether you are getting the same problem or not.

see i don’t know what could be the problem but still i would like to recommend you that you should try to update the firmware of your external HDD and then see whether you are getting the same problem or not.
    Exactly see it is quote difficult to find out what could be the problem over here but still you can have too many tweaks through which you can simply increase the speed as well. I mean to say have you ever tried defragmenting your hard drive? Because see when i was having the same problem, i done the same thing, and all said about 3% fragmented earlier than. finished the defrag and tried my test again. And really i gotten the transferred a 15 gb mkv movie file from 2tb Usb 2.0 drive to my Internal samsung spinpoint. This transferred at 34 mb/s a slight enhanced. so hope this could help you too.

well, if there will be any viruses installed in the machine then also you’ll not be able to get the speed which you are expecting with the HDD.

Thus i would like to recommend you that you should try to scan the whole machine once with any good antivirus software and then see whether you’re getting the same speed or there is any variation.

well, if there will be any viruses installed in the machine then also you’ll not be able to get the speed which you are expecting with the HDD.

Thus i would like to recommend you that you should try to scan the whole machine once with any good antivirus software and then see whether you’re getting the same speed or there is any variation.
    I was also thinking about the same as there could be some problem with the antivirus only, but still i have tested each and every driver but still, in fact the thing that made me annoyed is like though i have cleaned installed windows 7 in the machine but still i am getting the same result, anyways thanks for the suggestion.