Thread: Dell XPS 17 L702x with Vertex 3 SSD keeps rebooting

Dell XPS 17 L702x with Vertex 3 SSD keeps rebooting

HI, i have recently got this machine as i have mentioned in the title, and along with that a SSD so when i was trying to install a windows 7 on the machine it just starts rebooting and Bang with blue screen. Thus when i been to find any solution for the same on internet about setting up the SATA mode to ATA instead of AHCI that did help and the installer just went on. But still the worst thing is like even after a full install i can't change it to the sata once again and it just keeps rebooting.

So do the thing is like we can't really change the sata mode from ATA to AHCI and back after a windows install..? Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Re: Dell XPS 17 L702x with Vertex 3 SSD keeps rebooting

in my personal opinion i would say “No”, as the extent to i know you actually can change it after installation.

Actually the things is like if I remember properly from doing this with Windows XP, is to uninstall the ATA controller driver and after that force it to install the AHCI that’s serial ATA controller driver, and only then reboot and most important thing is like you need to change the BIOS switch.

see as far as SSD’s are concern i would like to recommend you that you should stay with the ATA only rather than the one you want to have, because i have done that but after doing that having very immersive problem with the startup.

No as the extent to i know you actually can change it after installation.

Actually the things is like if I remember properly from doing this with Windows XP, is to uninstall the ATA controller driver and after that force it to install the AHCI that’s serial ATA controller driver, and only then reboot and most important thing is like you need to change the BIOS switch.
    Actually, i was also thinking about the same but still the problem is I guess I require Intel AHCI drivers for that. But how to get just the driver, i can’t find that one at present. Anyways thanks for the suggestion.

Actually, i was also thinking about the same but still the problem is I guess I require Intel AHCI drivers for that. But how to get just the driver, i can’t find that one at present. Anyways thanks for the suggestion.
    Dell conveniently stuck all the drivers which is almost certainly located at C:\Drivers, so C:\Drivers\Chipset_IRST\r6flpy-x64\iaAHCI.inf is the one you wanted to have if i am not wrong.

In addition, along with that I'm recollecting the right way to oblige it. The item beneath Device Manager>IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers most likely says it is an ATA controller and in my case it says "SATA AHCI Controller. What you require to do is force this device to install the AHCI driver. So for that you have to simply update Driver Software, Browse my computer for driver software, Let me pick, Have Disk..., and now you have to look for the “iaahci.inf” driver file.

You could require unchecking “show compatible hardware” and installing the one called "Intel(R) Mobile Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controller", hope this could work.

this is quite simple thing, see i have mentioned some of the steps that could help you enabling AHCI mode AFTER Windows 7 Installation.
    • First you have to start "Regedit” from the, start >> run

• Open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / SYSTEM / CurrentControlset / Services

• After that Open msahci

• As the windows get open In the right field you will get an option on which you have to click it will be named as "start" and go to Modify.

• In the value Data field enter "0" and click "ok"

• Once completely with this exit "Regedit"

• Reboot Rig and enter BIOS (hold "Delete" key while Booting)

In your BIOS choose "Integrated Peripherals" and OnChip PATA/SATA Devices. Now modify SATA Mode to AHCI from IDE, and reboot the machine.

Hey thanks dude this is really good as i have gotten very good solution for which i was striving for about a week ago, and one of my friend is having the same problem so will the same work with vista as well?