Thread: How to install second HDD on Dell XPS 15 L502

How to install second HDD on Dell XPS 15 L502

I hope that anyone might have been using this laptop. I own this laptop and i would like to extend its data storage capacity. I want to install one more HDD to boost the data saving capacity. Is there any chance of that? if not, can i install it by replacing the optical drive? I have planned to get Western Digital Scorpio Blue 1TB.

Re: How to install second HDD on Dell XPS 15 L502

Choosing a good place for mounting the hard drive and other components depends on the available space from. Here, care should be taken to give as much space between the components or other hard disks or drives is allowed. The circulation of air is important to not let the components are unnecessarily hot.

What it can do is replace a disk in another capacity. Surely with a backup program can move files from one hard drive to another without too much trouble, since drivers do not use hard drives rather than the BIOS (you will have to be patient, because many gb 40 gb), computer also whether the BIOS supports it by asking the manufacturer.

You need to check first if your laptop is "upgradable" with the hard drive, or within the same record but with greater capacity, Check it out at the manufacturer's website. If possible do not want them to see your information, save it all your documents or films on another external hard drive that will serve you backup besides, or else on DVDs and format your hard drive before proceeding to update. I will recommend improvements , buy an external hard drive with greater capacity, is already up to 300 GB and I recommend 7200 rpm external drive with USB 2.0

if we use the optical drive (usually a DVD burner) in the market there are adapters optical drive bays portable (Slim type) with different connections:
    • IDE / PATA (Parallel ATA) to Serial ATA (SATA).
    • Serial ATA (SATA) to Serial ATA (SATA), if we connect / disconnect or Hot Hot Swap (One of the functionality of Serial ATA) can switch between the hard drive and optical drive as needed (although possibly best option to buy a Slim USB optical drive).
    • Serial ATA (SATA) to IDE / PATA (Parallel ATA).

I doubt that there are portable recent (at least consumer) fitted with removable optical drives. in fact, being able to detach cmq we can attach whatever you want since it comes with a port sata 2.5 ", unless special restrictions on the bios....

A second hard drive is only question of space in the laptop. I do not know a laptop, which supports a second hard disk by a conversion. Dell has laptops on offer with two shafts and therefore with two connections.

If you want to run but instead of a CD / DVD drive, a second HDD is everything else.

As far as i know that everything depends on the laptop you have. It is possible that in the place where you have the CD or DVD, you can remove it and put there another device like a hard drive. It would be cumbersome to be changing as needed. Another alternative is to change the disk that has more capacity on the other, and copy back all the information (can be stored temporarily on the external drive). Also need to know if the BIOS supports other capabilities. Prices vary widely, but are often expensive, by the small size required in the disks.

Happy Re: How to install second HDD on Dell XPS 15 L502

In a conventional apparatus, or just buy a bay that receives a hard drive (Lenovo or Dell devices offer this option, for example) or you must use a package like that of OptiBay. The model we tested is suitable for Mac (using a slot-in drive without tray) but is easily adaptable. Note that some manufacturers, like Sony, even offer this option directly: the Vaio TZ (an ultraportable) can receive a 2.5-inch hard drive in addition to its 1.8-inch hard drive (instead of the optical drive).

What he is telling is right but before that there is an important thing to know about the laptops. Usually there are 2 different patterns for optical drivers, normal as well as slim. AS i can see the XPS15 uses normal. For this i think that 12.7mm SATA HDD suitable. These kinds of HDD very rare to find out and fit in it for the reason that of slot-load drive. However on the other side the tray-load is extremely easy.