Thread: PC hangs while interacting with USB drive

PC hangs while interacting with USB drive

My computer is running the Windows 7 32 bit with 3 GB of RAM (2GB + 1 GB [two modules]). It is having the Intel Core 2 Duo L9400@ 1.86 GHz. Whenever I connect any USB drive to my computer then it detect that without any problem. If I open that then I can see all the files in it but whenever I try to transfer or open any of the files from it then the system get hanged. This is really weird and I need to solve this problem as soon as possible. When I use the same USB drive with some other computer then it works flawlessly. Please help me to get this problem solved. Thank you so much in advance for replying to this.

Re: PC hangs while interacting with USB drive

Are you getting any kind of the error message when you try to transfer the files or try to open the files. Is this problem depend on the file size? I have faced this kind of problem and the reason for that comes out as the system heat related.

The message for the USB port otherwise copying files within the event viewer comes with the red or yellow icon. Recheck, if you are getting any of such in your case. Anyways, the Windows 7 installation that you have done on your computer was a clean install or is that the upgrade installation from some other operating system? You can try by doing the clean installation of the operating system again to see if that solves the problem for you. before doing this, you must try by updating the BIOS to the latest version of it and see if that can solve the problem for you.

This might be the issue with the usb ports where you are trying to connect the USB drive and for that reason you re getting that problem. So, you should try to connect that to some other USB port and also try to connect that into the port that is behind your CPU case. If nits works without any problem with the other ports then it will be confirmed that the problem is with the port only.

If you want to ensure that this is the problem with the hardware or with the operating system then you must start your computer live Ubuntu CD and then connect the USB rive to it and check ;if it hangs again with the Ubuntu as well. If this works well with the Ubuntu then the problem is surely with the Operating system and what you have to do is just reinstall the operating system again and that will solve the problem for you. But if that shows the same problem with the Ubuntu as well then the problem is not with the operating system. This is something related with the hardware. I know that this is not the reply that you are expecting but it will ensure that problem is with the hardware or operating system and once that is clear then it will be easier for you to get the answer for this problem. Good Luck!!!

Problems like this can be easily solved with the help of a small powered USB hub. I hope that it will be helpful for you as well.

Just open the case and make sure that all the connections to the motherboard is proper. You can also remove all the connections once and then reconnect them properly to their places. If this is due to the lose connection the after reconnecting, you will not get the issue. This is very basic thing that worked many of the times to get the issue resolved.

You might have got a mini CD along with the USB drive that you are using. You must install that CD in your computer in order to make the USB drive work without any problem. Normally, it does not require to be installed but if you are getting the issues like this then you can try by installing that.

If there is some antivirus installed in your computer then that might be scanning your usb drive when you connect that in your computer and blocking the connection for some security reason. This is not sure, just a thought that I assume for this. So to make it sure, you must disable the antivirus and then try to connect it over again. I don't think that you will get this problem if antivirus is restricting the connetion.

This problem is not seem to be with the PC. This might be with the drive that you are using. So connect that to some other computer and then format it. Check if it shows you the same issue with your computer or not.