Thread: Qosmio X505 880 Specifically Freezes when NOT under load

Qosmio X505 880 Specifically Freezes when NOT under load

My Toshiba Qosmio X505 880 has been having this freezing problem for a long time.

The symptoms
    *Tends to happen when not under load. Extremely rare that it happens in a graphic intensive game.
    *Moving the laptop/hitting it seems to "fix it"(sometimes for months) then moving it again causes the problem to return
    *When it freezes during video playback the sound continues but the display is frozen
    *When frozen, the touchpad on/off button light will turn off but not come back on
    *After it freezes it sounds to me like the begin to go fans go full blast and the laptop gets fairly hot
    *When I reboot immediately after freezing it will sometimes say operating system not found or give me a PXE error implying the hard-drive isn't functioning but another reboot and its fine

Solutions I've tried so far with no success
    *Checked ram with a diagnostic ram program - fine
    *New SSD hard-drive + Factory reset
    *Cooling pad with 3 large fans placed over the intake vents
    *Driver/Bios updates
    *Opened up and cleaned out with Q-tip and rubbing alcohol all over the place.

-Could it be a heat-sink issue?
    -Just wanted to note that I'm definitely out of warranty
    -One more note, it used to crash obviously due to overheating(dust on the heat sinks) and do an automatic hard shutdown. It hasn't done that in about a year though.

Re: Qosmio X505 880 Specifically Freezes when NOT under load

Seems to me that it is definately a overheating problem caused by playing games on the laptop which you have described. Have you also checked the graphics card temp while gaming, it could be a problem as well. Could you also check by repairing the OS in the laptop and see if that helps, but i hardly believe it will. Refer to some similar threads here - Games freezes on Toshiba Qosmio x505 q880
    In The Absence Of Light
    Darkness Prevail's

I have checked gpu temps, the most common freezing temp is GPU at ~36C and Processor at ~57C

I stated in my post that it rarely if EVER freezes when a game is being played.

Honestly the most interesting facet of this whole thing is that it will get into these freeze loops that happen during bootup and literally SMACKING the laptop and shaking it around will stop it until I move the laptop again.

Was the laptop dropped by any chance in the past or so? It seems that there are some lose connections of wire or something, have you made a proper check for same when you open up the case? Generally the PXE error is caused by a hard Drive failure. Reseat the drive and or drive connections and see if the system will find the hard drive.

Quote Originally Posted by expertz View Post
    Was the laptop dropped by any chance in the past or so? It seems that there are some lose connections of wire or something, have you made a proper check for same when you open up the case? Generally the PXE error is caused by a hard Drive failure. Reseat the drive and or drive connections and see if the system will find the hard drive.
    Re-seating the drive didn't work. When I go inside this weekend I'll check on that.

Thanks

Just wanted to update:

Disconnecting the CMOS battery(resetting the BIOS) completely fixed my issue.

Just to clarify, it was not the taking apart of the laptop itself and reseating laptop boards and such because I had already done that multiple times.

It has been about a month and I haven't had a single bluescreen or freeze since I reset the BIOS.