Thread: HP Pavilion dv6-6135dx USB 3.0 not working

HP Pavilion dv6-6135dx USB 3.0 not working

I have recently bought HP Pavilion dv6-6135dx and it was working just fine and I did not had any problem with it as well but after I have formatted it the problem that I am facing is that the left side of the laptop to work which I think is USB 3 is not working where as the other usb ports on the right sides are working without any problem. I don’t have much knowledge about the problem as I have never faced the same. So is there anyone who has an idea about the same and can help me out as well. Any help regarding the same will be appreciated.

Re: HP Pavilion dv6-6135dx USB 3.0 not working

I have recently bought HP Pavilion dv6-6135dx and it was working just fine and I did not had any problem with it as well but after I have formatted it the problem that I am facing is that the left side of the laptop to work which I think is USB 3 is not working where as the other usb ports on the right sides are working without any problem. I don’t have much knowledge about the problem as I have never faced the same. So is there anyone who has an idea about the same and can help me out as well. Any help regarding the same will be appreciated.
    I will suggest you to download the Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 Host Controller Driverfrom HP's support website and after that install it and then run the USB 3.0 Host Controller Utility which is required to install. And then see if the problem disappears or not.If the problem persist then just go on to the device manager and then check what you get. Just try it out and then let me know so I can help you further if at all you come across any problem. Best of luck.

I have already tried using the Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 Host Controller Driver from t for those from the hp support site but then it did not helped and i have also checked in the device manager and i have founds that there are 2 devices that are having the yellow exclamation mark with them the first one is SM Bus Controller while the other is an Unknown device.They are having the following hardware IDs:
    SM Bus Controller:
    • PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_780B&SUBSYS_358D103C&REV_13
    • PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_780B&SUBSYS_358D103C
    • PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_780B&CC_0C0500
    • PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_780B&CC_0C05

Unknown device:

• USB\VID_138A&PID_0018&REV_0078
    • USB\VID_138A&PID_0018

Just try to use the windows update and then see if you are able to sort it out. I mean that there are possible chances that to will find out the required driver for it and end this problem or you can also try to update the driver manually by choosing the required driver and see if it is making any difference.Just check it out and then let me know if you are able to solve the problem or you are still having it.

I have tried the using the windows update but then i have found that it is not able to find any updates for those two and i have also followed your method of manually installing them and i have also choose the below drivers for the Unknown device as well but then even they are not making any difference:
    • Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 Host Controller
    • Renesas Electronics USB Hub
    • Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 Hub
    • Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 Root Hub

I have found that the Unknown Device you are talking about is the fingerprint reader but i am not able to find out what exactly is the SM Bus Controller related to.I just wanted to know if you have any installed AMD Graphics Driver??.For the fingerprint reader you can install the driver for it from the below link:
    Validity Fingerprint Sensor Driver

Hey thanks for that link i have now solved the mistery of the Unknown device and yes i am having AMD Graphics Driver installed but now when i have checked in the device manager then i have found that there are two more devices and they are named as Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller. I dont know that if they are related to the USB 3.0 devices but then i have note down their hardware IDs and they are as followed:
    • PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_7812&SUBSYS_358D103C&REV_03
    • PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_7812&SUBSYS_358D103C
    • PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_7812&CC_0C0330
    • PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_7812&CC_0C03

I have already tried installing the driver for them manually but then they are not working out. Any further help will be appreciated.

I don't have any ideas about these and i have tried to find out as well but then i have not got any success but i think that they might be for the card reader but i am not sure about it. I will suggest you to just install the HP Support Assistant and then they will help you in finding required drivers for your laptop. If you want you can install HP Support Assistant from below:
    HP Support Assistant

Even i am having the same problem with my HP Pavilion dv6-6102sa and even i have found that the windows update is not able to install the driver for USB 3.0 and i have also tried to do it manually but then even it did not helped and it just keep giving me messages saying that the USB 3.0 Host Controller not found and i am tired of it by now. If anyone has a solution for it then please help because i have by now tried the specified solution above but i have not got any success till now.

The main problem here is that the hp has not labeled the drivers well. I have found that below the Chipset the USB 3.0 drivers that they are having is really not able to enable the ports but then after a lot of search I have found that drivers for the USB 3.0 ports/chipset are rolled or say mixed into the VIDEO driver package and after installing the video driver package the ubs driver starts working. I have done the same to solve my problem so I think that it will work for you all as well. Just check it out and let me know what you find.

Hey thanks for your reply i was really not aware that there is such kind of mess with the hp and i was just doing the task of installing and then uninstalling the same driver again and again thinking that it will work out but then after listening to this i was really able to solve the problem and i think that i would have not been able to solve it until i would have came across your post.Once again thanks to you.