Thread: Cannot enable VT-x via BIOS in HP Probook 6560b

Cannot enable VT-x via BIOS in HP Probook 6560b

I own a HP Probook 6560b with i5 2520 (I downloaded previous bios) except I cannot allow VT-x inside BIOS. How can I allow it? Will this attribute be unlocked in next version of bios release?

Re: Cannot enable VT-x via BIOS in HP Probook 6560b

A change of this BIOS setting then requires a power cycle the server. Only after the new setting is effective.

Background: Even when you turn the computer, the BIOS, the VT-x feature of the CPU either activate or deactivate. The selected setting will be locked to prevent a change of function setting in operation.

With the help of RDMSR from the msr-tools can be determined whether the BIOS using VT-x allows. MSR stands for Machine Specific Register (sometimes referred to as a Model Specific Register). MSRs are used to set specific values to use for hardware or for passing on values between the BIOS and the kernel. The VT-x is in the MSR IA32_FEATURE_CONTROL blockers (MSR address 0x3a). This instrumentation consists of three bits:
    Bit 0: lock bit
    Bit 1: enables VMXON in SMX operation
    Bit 2: enabled VMXON outside SMX operation
    Thus the VT-x support is enabled; the BIOS must set Bit 1, set the bit 2, or both, and the bit 0.

For handling, it will first check if your machine is compatible BIOS and install a compatible. Consider an ultraportable Sony Vaio G11. The first thing to do is to check that the machine uses the BIOS R0062N5 and therefore, if necessary, update the BIOS in this version. The second thing to do is create a USB drive containing a bootable DOS system (with FreeDOS, for example) and a small program, symcmos , which will allow to change the BIOS settings. Once the machine booted into DOS, you must type the following line: "symcmos-v2-l Defaut.txt." Then with a hex file editor, edit the registry corresponding to the activation of VT-x (for a G11, so this is 0363) by replacing the value by 0 to 1. Once the modification is complete, restart the computer in DOS mode and type the following command line: "symcmos Default.txt-v2-u". Normally, the machine off and reboot VT-x enabled.

The message that VT-x or AMD-V is not enabled in the BIOS can resolve you just by you activate the virtualization in the BIOS - the menus are easy times Duch - was under Advanced Chipset Processor options or options.

This 1155er system with Z68 chipset supports VT-D definitely. VT-D (read Intel) depending on whether the CPU and the BIOS supports VT-D or whether there is explicit D-VT de-/aktivierbar. Then chances are good. Also here: Download the manual of the desired board and go through the BIOS options.
    My first board could not. There was only one option for VT-X.