Thread: Wanted to upgrade hard drive of Lenovo ThinkPad T61P

Wanted to upgrade hard drive of Lenovo ThinkPad T61P

I am having Lenovo ThinkPad T61P. I have purchased Seagate Momentus 750GB 7200RPM SATA/300 drive for the purpose of swap before doing clean install Windows 7 64-bit. Should I do flashing the Middleton BIOS to 161P applied to the Seagate Momuntus 750GB 7200RPM SATA/300? What are the benefits by doing the same? post comments on this particular thread. I am waiting for the same. thanks a lot in advance.

Re: Wanted to upgrade hard drive of Lenovo ThinkPad T61P

Well I wanted to tell you that is middleton bios is the modified version of the Lenovo bios which is removing the bits which is used to disable SATA2 support. Lenovo has done the same to give better compatibility with the legacy devices. I would not agree with the complete disabling sata2 was the best option to handle the same. I would like to recommend that you should use the unsupported BIOS.

In case you are supposed to use the BIOS and before you install the 64 bit OS so you can also run from the hard drive. The bootable CD rom disc will not give you any option to abort the if the system seems to be unstable. Also you have to take care of the thing that is it should have good stable 32bit operating system before you make an attempt to do the BIOS update. There could be BSOD while doing the BIOS update and due to which the system might become unstable. Also you should get the faster transfer speeds for that particular hard drive. But the most noticeable difference is to use the SSD drives.

I would like to move to SSD drive with second drive into the ultrabay, we are aware of the thing that is SSD drives are having the lower failure rate than that of the mechanical drives.

You will be able to install drive with the 32bit OS so that you can flash the BIOS. You will be able to do the same from the 32 bit windows disc and simply run the update from the hard drive of the 64 bit operating system. You need to make use of the bootable iso version of BIOS. You will have smoother experience of the flashing on Windows Vista and Windows Seven rather than that of the Windows XP.
    Another thing which I wanted to agree over here that you will not be able to see the huge advantage with the SATA2 on the mechanical drive and there is a risk which is supposed to accordingly.

You will not require to perform the BIOS upgrade when you are supposed to install hard drive or ram on the computer of yours. also there is no relation between order of doing upgrade. Only take care of the thing is that it should be quite stable.

Hey guys thanks a lot for the prompt replies of yours with the possible solutions over here. I wanted to appreciate your efforts which you have put in to get the requirement of mine.